Vertical Demo Garden

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I've just aquired a strip raised planter that's loaded with weeds and what not. While cleaning it up in the community garden I had an idea of using old windows, remove the glass and plant it as a pane. My thoughts went further to have 2 4x4s with a groove in them, a few pre-drilled holes and thicker panes that are planted on each side that could be slid into place like an old windowpane between the 4x4s. The whole reason I'm doing this is I live in a heritage house co-op surrounded by highrises, apartments, etc in a high-density area and the concept of vertical gardens on apartment balconies isn't in peoples minds here. I'd like to do a demo to show people what they can do as they walk the lane past the garden all the time. Instead of making all the panes soil & plant filled I had the idea of alternating with a plexiglass-type arty thing. The footings I'm thinking are pre-poured concrete with a piece of rebar which holds the 4x4 upright.

So, is my head in the sky or is this something that can actually take fruition?

Lisbon, Portugal(Zone 10a)

Hi Growin!

I have a small balcony to work with and every possible idea that can help me make the most of it is welcome!
I read your post and I'm pretty sure I didn't understand most of it, but it made me curious. I'm sure that my not being a native speaker should account for most of my doubts...

So please be patient and let me know - what's vertical gardening? And what's a strip raised planter? What do you mean when you refer to a 4x4?
And I didn't really understand what you plan to do with the window frames..

I'm sorry, but the whole thing has made me quite curious!

Love

Hiraeth

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

This page might give you a better idea of what I'm trying to do: http://www.401richmond.net/building/eco.cfm
Basically I'm trying to make the same concept as an old-style window and how it fits in the wood tracks in a pane. Using coco-fibre to keep the soil inplace, poke a hole for each plant and slide the pane into place. You can plant either side. I've already started the project but its caught in red-tape.

Lisbon, Portugal(Zone 10a)

Thanks, growin! Great idea with the old window - Good luck against red tape....

Keep us posted!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.