Vine ID Please

Collingswood, NJ(Zone 6b)

While walking around our neighborhood pond, I found two vines that looked a little too vigorous, if you know what I mean. Neither shows up in any of my native plant books so I'm guessing they are invasive exotics, but thought I'd check here. I also did a google search of invasive vines, but didn't see any matches. I can't seem to take clear shots close up, so these are a bit blurry, sorry.

Thumbnail by Fireweed87

Close up of the leaves. . .

Thumbnail by Fireweed87

And here are the flowers, one pink and one yellow growing on the same vine.

Thumbnail by Fireweed87

The second vine . . .

Thumbnail by Fireweed87

I don't think a closer view will help because it's so blurry, but here it is.

Thumbnail by Fireweed87

Yea, I know, I need to invest in a new camera, photography lessons, or both.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Could your second plant be Apios americana aka Groundnut or Potato Bean? http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/87214/

It IS groundnut! Thanks, Floridian! I delighted to find that it's a native vine and not something invasive. The flower is pretty and, according to Wikipedia, it has edible beans and tubers. I may just have to collect some seeds.

Thanks again, Floridian. I really appreciate the ID.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Glad I could help! If you don't get many responses about vine #1 you might put in the ID forum. Maybe you'll get another nice surprise. Ü

Good idea, Floridian. Thanks again.

I'm bumping my thread to see if anyone can identify the first vine.

I think I JUST ran across that leaf yesterday. You are going to absolutely shoot me because I can't for the life of me remember what it was and it was something I wasn't familiar with. Try a search using these words- new invader vine eastern

I don't have that vine. You keep it. If memory serves me it isn't a well behaved native. Don't go on my memory and waste it until you get a positive id. What about posting this over in the Plant Identification forum?

Equil, a quick search of "new invader vine eastern" didn't show much besides English Ivy and Asiatic Bittersweet. I think I'll take your suggestion (and Floridian's) and post this over at the plant ID forum.

Thanks.

Sorry, I think that was how I stumbled across the image of the leaves that seemed to match your mystery vine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.