ID Please

Athens, OH

Found this at Big Bloomers in NC.
No tag. Put got it for a great price!

Any ideas?

It is only about 6" high.

Thumbnail by rox_male
Lilburn, GA(Zone 8a)

I have many of this type of fern growing in my yard. I would love to know what it is called too. They do go dorment in the winter, but spread on their own during the spring and summer. I have not been watching very, very closely, but I do not seem to detect spores. Can anyone help?
~hotlanta

Hayward, CA

Leather fern.

Athens, OH

I looked up plantfiles under Leather Fern.
It had two entries, both acrostichum.
Both entries listed hardiness at Zone 9.

I don't think this can be right. I bought it from a nursery in Zone 7a and they said the plant was hardy for them.

Any ideas? Is there a hardier species of leather fern?
ROX

Lilburn, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't think it is leather fern either. The ones in my yard are much shorter. The oldest (and they are growing naturally) are about only 8 inches tall. I have never potted up one, but I don't think they will grow much taller even under cultivation. The zone is applicable though, zone 8.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I would tend to believe it is leather fern aka leatherleaf fern. Mine was planted inground, mostly shade and got quite weather beaten even in our mild winters. It recently died because we cut down the large tree that provided shade.

Rox, to be on the safe side, I would bring it in.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/26841/

This message was edited Aug 28, 2006 2:38 PM

Athens, OH

Augh!
Another tropical to bring in. I think I might just have to find it a new home in a more tropical area.
Anyone interested? I am looking for unusual, hardy ferns, brunnera, pulmonaria, rhodhea and other shade plants.
ROX

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.