Are these Japanese Maple seedlings?

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi,
Back during the winter and early spring months, I went thru the long drug out process of stratifying some seeds from my red cut leaf Japanese Maple.

I had already decided they had long enough and I was going to give them just 1 more week before I dumped them with their sand and potting soil mixture into the compost pile, well today I saw 2 little sprouts. Do these look like Japanese Maples to you guys or are they only weeds?

Jane

Thumbnail by rainy_jane
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

It looks like veggies to me ..but obviously you are jumping the gun a bit i'd wait another week or so and it should be obvious...David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Doesn't look like a maple to me either but time will certainly tell. Here's hoping for you.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I'd guess cumuber or squash...or melon of some sort...we'll see if I'm right ;>) David

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Well...now you just had to bust my bubble...didn't ya! Probably just another dang weed!

I done the whole process exactly as the directions said....90 days in the plastic bag with peat moss and sand 50/50 mixture...kept it moist but not too wet...then 70 days in the fridge...not too far in the back so they wouldn't freeze.....and have waited and waited and waited and now I have veggies or weeds!

I'll keep ya posted....don't mean nothing by it... but really hope your all wrong! lol

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Sorry, but I agree and you should know in a day or two by the leaves.

Laura

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Your all probably right...their probably not Japanese Maples.
I do know this is the only thing I planted here in this container but....it's just like my grandchildren to of felt sorry for poor ole grandma and helped me out by planting something in here since as far as they knew it was empty.lol

Here's todays pic, as you can see a few more of whatever these are have sprouted. I can't remember for sure but am thinking I planted 10 or 12 Japanese Maple seeds here...I guess time will tell what they are.

Thumbnail by rainy_jane
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sure will be fun to find out!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

yah statifying seeds sounds like alot of time and some work ...especially for twelve seeds ..I plan on just sowing in my garden and overwintering to do it naturally ..I ll fence off the area for critters ..I sure do have a bunch of seeds this year but I sure don't have the patience to do the fridge thing . Be advised that your seeds may still eventually germinate I have heard of folks having them take two years ( some germainating the first year some the next)...or they may just have rotted or been eaten by grubs or whatever ...looks like a good cuke crop though or maybe they'll be those GIANT pumkins ya know the ones the size of a small cow ;>) david

hurdle mills, NC

David, you are so silly!!!
Hi rainy_jane, these guys are giving you a hard time!! LOL Those chunky green things don't look like jpanese maples but the tiny thing just below the two big green things that are close together, does look like one. I have grown seedlings the last 2 years. I didn't stratify, like David, I am too lazy for that!!! I let nature do it. I hope you get some because it feels good to see them come up and grow.
Della

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's a photo of an Acer palmatum seedling.

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

...and of a flat of em.

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's my BIG two seedlings from a palmatum 'Seiryu' that popped. (Photo from last winter)

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey Dave, what seeds can you collect for me? (Which cultivars and species - I'll gladly give you seeds from a number of things I either have or will be here this week):

I have in warm strat right now from my garden:
Acer griseum - maybe a hundred of them

I also collected from 'Seiryu'

Then I'm getting seeds from a dwarf Pinus strobus called (Chippianock) in two weeks. A LOT OF THEM! That's how Sidney Waxman became famous and introduced many dwarf forms.

I also collected locally:
Pinus strobus
Acer palmatum from a red-leaved cultivar or "Atropurpureum" I don't know what it is.
Pinus banksiana (Jack Pine)
Pinus heldreichii (aka Pinus leucodermis)
Abies koreana 'Silberlocke' - forms come true to type! (most will)

Then on order and already been shipped, the following:
Abies nordmanniana 'Ambrolauri'
Acer pseudosieboldianum
Metasequoia glyptostroboides
Stewartia pseudocamellia
Picea orientalis
Pinus peuce
Pinus rigida

And then Sheffield seed will send (they didn't tell me when):
Pinus bungeana
Larix kaempferi

And in November, I'll receive from Schumaker Seeds:
Cedrus libani var. stenocoma

I'd love to trade for every cultivar you have and the seeds I ordered were mostly in bulk quantities.

Let me know and thanks (if so),

Dax

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.