Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Really weird, a twin?

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Recent manifestation.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

how do you care for this when it goes dormant? i am growing some gloriosa this year. i plan on leaving some in the ground to see if they will come back but i also will bring some in and was wondering when to bring them in and what to do with them when i did. thanks. barb

Schererville, IN(Zone 5a)

Yes, please tell what you do with it come winter......I am in the same zone as you.....Do you just bring it in and treat it like any other house plant? or do you just store the tuber? I have just gotten mine this spring from good old Wal-Mart.....LOL...Out of the 3 tubers that came in the bag, just one really grew and bloomed....one never grew and then another grew, but stayed short and didn't do anything.....I'd like mine to look big and healthy like yours!!

Thanks!! And your pictures at beautiful!! :-)

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

As I grow most of mine in containers, at season's end I take the containers into the basement (no water, temp. usually hovers around 60 degrees F.)and let them be till spring. At that point I depot them (carefully, as they are very brittle) and repot them in new potting media. I place them horizontally 2 inches below the soil (which is unique for when you repot them they have usually migrated to a vertical position). It's best to insert trellis when repotting so no tuber gets stabbed.
When de-potting you can tell when they're ready to go again by observing the tuber tips, the very small upturned bud starts to color pink or reddish. That small tip can help one align which direction is up. Up is the way the tip points.
I grow a few in the ground as well. Those I very carefully dig up, clean up and store in perlite in the basement till next season.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Those colors are just fabulous!

Schererville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thank-You!!!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

As they mature, the color and the shape change. Initially they're open a greenish or greenish-white which swiftly converts to yellow and red; in the later stage they're usually red and white and spread out kind of flat.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Denver, CO

You have the grandest (or most glorious) Gloriosas I've seen.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Kenton.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Those are beautiful!!!!! Mine didn't grow this year, so I'm gonna have to start from scratch next year.

Debbie

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Absolutely gorgeous. Congratulatins!

Erick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.