How do I use Cow Manure?

Madison, MS

I have a compost tumbler and I'm starting 3 new beds. I'm getting several yards of good garden soil mix from the nursery and I'm going to be adding my compost and I also wanted to add cow manure. I can go to the farm and get the manure from the pasture, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Do I just scoop it up, put it in a bag and mix it into all my other garden mix in the bed? Or do I have to do something special with it first?

Dayton, WA

I build a huge compost pile every Fall, and I incorporate both cow and horse manure with about an equal amount of shredded leaves. In addition, I cover my raised beds with a thick blanket of shredded leaves and top with cow/horse manure and let that sit all winter long. I don't think it's a good idea to mix fresh manure of any kind directly into your garden beds. Best to compost it or let it age well before using it in your beds.

Madison, MS

These will be new beds that I plan on adding compost to and aging over the winter- I'm not putting plants in them until the spring - so will that give it time to age?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

That will work well but the manure might be full of weed seeds and will sprout in the spring. So it is best to compost it and get it hot before you put int the bed.

Madison, MS

Thanks - I will do that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.