Beautiful Yellow

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

This is my Figleaf Hollyhock, the leaves are huge.
Do they get seeds?

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Showing the leaves

Thumbnail by kareoke
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Just lovely! I tried growing these one year, but it hadn't bloomed before the season was over. I guess it isn't one of the mallows that appreciates our cool climate. Thanks for the lovely pic!

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes they do produce seed pods. This link might be helpful. Your figleaf hibiscus is beautiful!

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1358/index.html

(Zone 4a)

Alcea rugosa. A very beautiful plant, and, is called
perennial by many.

They usually produce a good quantity of seeds.

Lucky you!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I love all the mallows, but only a few are perennial for me. I can grow some as annuals, if they bloom in the first year. Maybe I need to try A. rugosa again, starting the seed even earlier indoors.

(Zone 4a)

I started the seeds in January, with had good results.
Sadly, the plants did not return the following year.

I am now re-inspiried, but, alas, have no seeds.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It sounds like they are a perennial grown as an annual in your climate, as well, taramark. I'll remember to start them earlier if I get seeds again.

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

That is very beautiful !!!

~Julie =0)

(Zone 4a)

There exists a 'Russian' type that is supposedly hardy to Zone 4.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

It sure looks like my Hibiscus "Manihot". Weezin, I have green pods. Let me know if you want any. Should not be too long. They also self seed. ;)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Whoopsie! How about a link? LOL http://www.hibiscus.org/species/amanihot.php

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Very pretty, and it looks like it's more resistant to rust and leaf miners. Is it a different species.....ficifolia or is it rugosa?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree with Badseed--I hadn't looked at the picture close before, but now that I do it looks more like Abelmoschus manihot or something closely related to it and not so much like a hollyhock.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I forgot I just posted a pic in tropicals recently. These look great with ears, banana, brugs, canna, etc.

Thumbnail by Badseed
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Yup, I think you're right, but it sure is pretty!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I should have seeds coming out my ears before too long. Just have to beat the weevils to them...LOL

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Badseed. Maybe I try some, if the weevils aren't faster than you!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Now as usual I am confused, I purchased the seed 2 yrs ago on EB labeled Figleaf Hollyhock, but they look like your picture badseed, I checked the files and found this one in pink.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1358/index.html

badseed PLEASE save me some seeds so I can grow some and compare, and I will trade you some of my seeds if you want.

Doris

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I was reading up on A. ficifolia last night and thought it only bloomed in shades of pink down to white. I am thinking I did find an entry that said it bloomed in yellow.

I should have plenty of seeds. :) I will try not to mix in seeds off the other plants that look like marijuana. (LOL JUST JOKING!!)

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I was checking out my plant, is this another flower or a seed pod, also I find the stems are covered with very fine needles, and lots of ants.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I collected the first three pods with several more to come. Dmail me if you wanted some. They'll need to dry for a few days.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Doris, that is a seed pod in your last pic. :)

I finally got around to downloading my camera!

Here is the leaf on mine.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

And here is your friend Mr. Prickley pod and the needles on the stem. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

YEP. That is what I have and I am thrilled with it, the flower is so lovely but doesn't last long just like my Hibiscus tree, but that never gets any seeds.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Why is it all the neat stuff blooms so quickly? LOL I plant several of them together to keep them blooming. I have never tried snipping off the pods prematurely to see if the plant would keep blooming. They go to see SO quick!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.