The ugly cannas

Louisville, KY

I was recently asked to post ugly canna plants. I have tons of hybrids and many are very beautiful others look fairly common but their are a few I would consider ugly. This first one I am not sure what is wrong with it. It first produced beautiful red flowers but has sense been producing flowers which I cannot really describe. They almost look like the foliage.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Here is a pic of the leaves and the flowers. I am not sure you can get any uglier than this. Its growing right in the middle of my garden LOL,

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

This maybe the runner up it is a dwarf with mutated like leaves and small very small tubular spotted flowers. Their are a lot of bad ones to get to the good ones.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Well for the most part cannas are not ugly plants and you have to search to find ugly ones. Here is a picture of my older hybrid field. I have plucked out just about all the nice cannas still a handful left but most look similar to species with tall spikes very small flowers and nothing really much to offer besides some foliage. Many of these I am getting rid of to people interested in growing them for next to nothing. They have been picked through enough.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Bout time!! I was beginning to think you would just point at the fields and say I want this, grow for me!!! And poof, there it is. LOL. The middle one ain't too bad. Could have been worse. The first 2 though, well, they are butt ugly. LOL.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

It might be funny to think of names for ugly cannas.

baboons brother or

yellow ...humble bert

(Instead of yellow king humbert)

I was thinking that first rosy colored one resembles some kinds of water plants that grow around here. I think if that one had more petal they could be interesting looking.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2006 1:12 PM

I like baboons brother.

Louisville, KY

:This one is not really ugly it is very tiny and has small bright pink flowers usually 1 to 2 inches across but they look a lot like miniture large flowers with big type petals.
I was thinking of calling this one Canna Fairy Fart Fantasy LOL. A oddity to add to the fantasy collection LOL.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Pretty and neat I think. It kind of reminds me of hydrangeas in a way with canna foilage.

Very pretty! Love the name too!! LOL

I'm bumping this up for the newcomers to see.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks pepper, those are cool looking.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I like your FFF one.

Louisville, KY

Suprized this topic is back up. I may have more photos in the archives of canna photos I keep on my computer 8,000 photos and counting of just cannas.

This is just one of those plants that really makes you mad. The foliage was more than amazing possibly some of the best foliage I have seen on a canna. I wait most the summer for it to show me that it has a danty ugly flower. So disappointing.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

LOL. I get a good laugh out of them. This one isn't too bad. Just dull looking.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

I like the flower in the post at 6:27 pm, CDT. The foliage does look very nice on that plant and it could certainly be sold as a foliage plant. If you don't like the flowers you can always cut them off. You'll still be left with very nice foliage.

Do you know what the cross was? Try it again and see if you get similar foliage and better flowers. It's worth a shot.

I am just beginning to get into Cannas. I need to find C. musifolia. I just purchased some seed to see what I end up with.

Please keep the pics coming.
Thanks,
Mike

Louisville, KY

Here is the foliage for that last flower. As you can see I was hoping for something much better than what it produced..

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

nice foliage, may be worth another try!
The flowers aren't bad, just kinda squirrely

Some people might grow that just for the foliage-

Was it tall or short?

I don't know, i like the colors. Probably look worse in person.

Louisville, KY

Well I beiieve it is a tetraploid and it is probably sterile. I think if I do the same hybrid a 100 times I will not get the results we see here. The foliage is really nice but at times it changes and cannot be completely stable. Many times the leaves are forked at the ends very odd. This will be the second year growing it out full.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

here is another pic of the same plant but different look to the leaves purple with neon pink streaks.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

ok, it's ugly. LOL. For once I can flat out say that.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I love it!

It's a good thing I plant bright stuff at the back yard!lol

Really is beautiful coloration to the leaf, though

It's better than pink leaves. LOL. Hey Brian, ever tried to make a pink leafed canna?? Bet that would be a sight to see!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I llove Ti plants, so the thought of that pink foliage being perennial......drool...

LOL!!

Louisville, KY

I have tried to breed bright pink leaves. I am still trying to breed bright pink leaves LOL. I get some odd colorations and I am a foliage person but its nice to have good flowers along with them.

You ask for pink leaves walla I have it LOL.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

LOL! Not in my yard!! That's actutally a nice pink.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, Brian

Beautiful! Absolutely stunning!!
I'm so weird but I could absolutely see my yard dotted with those!

Outta there Phaison!

LOL. I'm not a pink person so I keep it limited around here. But I do like it in that canna leaf. That's a nice shade.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, one day,

we'll be able to have pink leafed cannas with big, white blooms!
Or better yet, purple blooms!

Louisville, KY

This is one of the most contorted looking cannas I have grown wavy leaves rippled and colored from green to dark maroon with bright pink flowers. It has never been really normal I guess.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

i'm speechless.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

pep, I love cannas- Have so many red and yellow already.

just can't plant too much orange anymore (we have enough road construction in this state to exhaust anyone on orange-or direct traffic into your back yard)

It's hard to find a true pink canna. It seems like most are peachy, salmon, coral.

I dislike pink (darn sure don't wear it) just about everywhere but my garden, funny enough.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Have you tried for a golden leaved plant? I saw one linked in the cannas forum somewhere. I think a golden leaved plant would look really well paired with a dark purple leaved plant like 'Australia'.

I grow a number of dwarf conifers and I am thinking of using Cannas as a backdrop to some of my blue needled cultivars to show them off.
Mike

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Hmm, the wrinkling does seem kinda patterned..

Louisville, KY

I have seen some really odd cannas this one turned out to be fairly nice but when young I thought for sure it would be a ugly mutant of a plant. It did have some different colorations on the leaf and corrigation which is not usually nice looking but very different for cannas.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

Oooh, a golden leaf. I like!!

Trop- This will be my first year for blooming cannas. Had cannas last year but they got planted too late and never got to bloom. I have red and red/yellow for sure. I also have some that were given to me but don't know the colors yet. I can't wait til I can get them outside!!

Geez, that last leaf is weird. lol

Louisville, KY

Golden leaf cannas. I have a few I am actually working on. This is the first one I got from a friend and have been breeding new ones off of it.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.