The holy Grail Of Cannas

Louisville, KY

I have talked to a fellow canna breeder a few years back. He has been after breeding cannas looking for something very unique he told me of the idea of breeding this type of canna and I also took on the quest. This canna we are talking about is one with black leaves and a white flower. Something that seems to almost be unreachable. It seems everytime I breed something with a light color flower the foliage also gets lighter. I have to say it is possible after looking at all the hybrids I have seen some that get very close.

This canna might be the closest one I have yet seen. This is a seedling I grew this season and it has just started flowering. My friend has one very similar but a bit smaller grower. It is one of the best dark leaf light color flowering cannas I have seen so far.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

Absolutely breathtaking, love it!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

another one to put on my list!! Brian, ya gotta quit that!! My list is getting too big!! LOL. And that's not counting the ones I want from others!!!

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

That is just beautiful like angels wings.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Canna Eilleen Gallo is very similar to this one, I used it a lot in my early crosses, yields some nice colors.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

So is Hallman's 'Barbara Hallman'. Check out both 'Eileen Gallo' and 'Barbara Hallman'. I like working with these types, too.
You will see what is meant. I like 'Barbara Hallman' over' Eileen Gallow' for the colour changes it makes through it's bloom cycle. It can be white, pink, cream ..who knows! And I like it for it's larger size blooms.
But I'll bet 'Eileen Gallow is in her genetics.

That is very pretty, Brian.
I will be curious to see how it matures.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.