Am I in the right place?

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I am moving to Gainesboro, Tennessee next month - 'bout an hour & a half NE of Nashville. Just from nosing around the threads, it looks like most folks are from the 7b-8a areas, and I think (*think*) that I'll be in 6b? I'm very interested in knowing what I can grow - as you can see, I'm currently in the Arizona desert, so this will be a radical change for me.

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated, TIA!

Sheryl

Thumbnail by Pagancat
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

The word of wisdom is ... Of course you're in the right place! Welcome Sheryl, you will have more assistance and words of wisdom that you will know what to do with... : ) pod...

Augusta, AR(Zone 8a)

Welcome aboard Sheryl! Wow, you are up for a big change, but you'll love it here. I do =). Of course I have nothing the compare it to. I've been here all my life. As far as what you can grow, well, I am in a bit of a zone denial because I love the tropical look. Get a greenhouse so you can join the zone envy club too, lol.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2006 5:13 PM

Rienzi, MS(Zone 7a)

Welcome Sheryl!!!

You will love TN, such a beautiful place all year long.

I am not sure what exactly will grow in 6b, but I am sure most things we grow in 7a will grow there.

You will have to get use to the humidity of the south as it gets really humid during the summer months (and HOT).

Most of us love the tropical look gardens and most plants love it too. I plant my tropical stuff then plant flowers for the hummers and butterflies.

If you find something that you want to know about, just ask. I am sure you will find plenty of help here.

Glad you have you here with us.

Linda

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!

We're a friendly group of people who are always willing to tell you what we know or at least tell you where to go to find the info.

Don't be a stranger, just hop into any of the threads and post or start your own threads and we'll come along to "sit for a spell".

Judy

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Welcome aboard pagancat! Arizona to Tennessee? I hope you like the color green. You'll love it here. So many things to grow, where to start?
:-)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Of course you're welcome here - but I had to chuckle when you said you're an hour-and-a-half northeast of Nashville. Either Gainsboro is more east than north (I think it is) or your driving directions are based on driving really slow ;o)

But you are very welcome to join us Mid-southerners.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Sheryl, jumping in here to say welcome to the Mid-South! My neighbor (soil sister) across the street moved to Phoenix and she was dying because she was moving to the desert. I think you're getting a much better deal, moving to NE TN. It's beautiful east of Nashville. You will love it! You'll be able to grow a lot of the same things we can, down here in Z7...

So, again, welcome! Just jump in at any time. We all get along very well and welcome your humor and contributions...

Pat

P.S. I live just south of Memphis.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome - very sweet and very appreciated!

I've been lurking a little the past coupla days.... Looks like I'm going to need more instruction in deportment than plants - your "Southern Women" thread made me grin and shudder - I'm in the dirty-broken-nails-with calluses dept. - my mom gave me some lipstick so I actually have some, but.... daily? Mmmm - I don't think so, LOL!

Anywho, thank you again, you'll be seeing plenty of me!

Sheryl

P.S. Also glad to see some other horse lovers around - Hank (my little big guy) is probably one of the bigger reasons we're moving to TN.

Thumbnail by Pagancat
-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

What a beautiful face he has!

My nails aren't broken (today) but they're stained "tomato stalk" green - I think it's permanent. I have calluses, cracked heels, and a blood blister.

More "Steel" than "Magnolia" unless we're going somewhere I need to look ladylike. (And that's a rather small list of places. The grocery store, the hardware store, the bank and DD's school are quite accustomed to seeing me without benefit of makeup or hairspray ;o)

Philadelphia, MS(Zone 7b)

Pagancat, Welcome...don't let us scare you -you'll get use to us! These folks have so much info about plants and pets and life in general - its amazing. Hank is beautiful. My son and DIL in Murfreesboro ride quite often and have their horses stabled somewhere near there.

Terry, isn't anything within 60 - 100 miles of N'ville considered a "bedroom community" of the country music city? If I recall my days of commuting from Vanderbilt to M'boro, sometimes it took me 2 hours (creep-hour traffic).

The pic is of my DIL's horse, Rain, they transported 2 horses, 4 four-wheelers, 4 children and 2 adult friends down here a couple of years ago for a visit ....yep, they're my kids - slightly on the crazy side!

Thumbnail by msfarmergirl
Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

Pagancat....Welcome to you!!

You will find we are very friendly and more than willing to assist you with any plant addiction you may have or acquire while here. :)

Dee

msfarmergirl, all of Davidson county is considered "Nashville metro" and some of the nearby communities like Antioch, Brentwood, even Mt. Juliet, Hendersonville, Goodlettsville and others are mainly bedroom communities. But M'boro (Rutherford County) is now considered a separate metropolitan statistical area (MSA), and other counties (Williamson, Wilson, and most of the other adjacenet counties) have enough manufacturing and large employers to hold their own.

My husband works in Ashland City (NW side of Nashville - exactly opposite of M'boro on the SE side), so he does the "crawl" across Nashville twice a day. I say a prayer for his safety when he leaves, and a prayer of thanksgiving when he makes it home safe and sound each night ;o)

Terry, I'll never forget trying to get home after an icestorm one evening! It was dreadful. I Loved that area and my boys still do but I'm glad to be out of the traffic. I was just teasing about the "bedroom" community thing. Mufreesboro has grown amazingly fast! Its sad to see so much of the farmland go to suburbia but I guess that's progress. I was sitting on my son's deck last summer explaining to my grandchildren that the reason for the variety of wildflowers and such in the vacant lot adjacent to their home is because it was once a pasture to cows and horses. We will be there next weekend....can't wait. If it weren't for family obligations (parents on both sides) here, my DH swears we would move that way.

Crossville, TN

Sheryl, You will be moving within about 50 miles from my son...he is in Crossville, TN. I love it there. Crossville has the best little flea market.

Since you won't be here for the Cave creek Hawaiian party, you are close enough in TN to make the KY Ru if you get moved in time!! Are you going to be on the Cumberland River? It looks BIG...especially compared to our San Pedro River here.

When I took my littrle grandson (age 5 at the time) from here to TN...I asked him what he thought of TN...he said "Grandma, It's GREEN"...and it is. Beautiful.

Enjoy your new life there. Perhaps I'll meet you when I come East to visit. Jo

LOL, Jo - you *have* met me - last spring at Sir Jonny's party in Scottsdale. But another meeting would be grand. Especially if you make that dessert we were all panting after the recipe for.... except me - if I had much more than I had then, I won't fit behind the wheel of my car. It was yummy.

Am in Arkansas tonight, traveling to the closing for our new place. 'Green' is right! All across the country it has been green - I've never seen so much green in New Mexico, that and fields of yellow flowers next to standing water. It's downright surreal. I finally pulled over because my windows had fogged up from all the humidity here ...... Tennessee tomorrow!

Had a friend visit "down South" from Detroit Michigan once. Took her to spend some time with my folks in the "back woods" and thought she would freak out. She said the trees made her feel all closed in and things were just a little TOO green for her taste and what WAS all that noise at night?? Funny, she was accustomed to the car noises and sirens but the crickets and frogs sent her right over the edge! All a matter of taste. My brother now lives in Las Vegas (Air Force) and before that was in Clovis, NM. He says when he comes home he has to acclaimate (sp) to all of the green and such as well! When he first moved to NM, many years ago, I asked him about his "love life" and he said "Oh, sis, there's a girl behind every tree!" Then proceeded to tell me how few trees there were!
The fact that I said all of that means I've been up too late and its time for bed - good night all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.