Suggestions for 90 days (or less) veggie seeds

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Your favs please. :) I'm trying a number of maters this year but would love to receive other veggie suggestions (there are too many cultivars that I've never seen/grown before).

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Lily, just browse through plantfiles for veggies that you like. Most are less than 90 days maturity. Check out those with the big green star. Most of the brassica's from Broccoli to Turnip do well in the cooler climates. Beans (snap, wax, dry shelling), Beets, Squash, English peas, potatoes, etc.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you I've never just browsed through the PlantFiles so never thought of just looking for ones with the green star. BTW while we can have cool summers where Broccoli etc. does well, we can also have summers where temps stay in the high 80's to low 100's for almost the whole summer (last year's high, in June, was 114F heat and humidity combined)

Thought I'd ask in case the veggie growers had a few varieties, like the tomato growers, that they were really impressed with.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2006 8:18 AM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Everyone has his own likes and dislikes. Plus what grows in my climate may not do well in yours. Example I have to grow a short season broccoli for both spring and fall plantings ditto with cauliflower. Those in more northern climates have good luck with main season cultivars. The tomato forum is dominated by the heirloom folks, so the rest of us just leave it to them. But even they have disagreements among themselves. Bottom line you just have to experiment and find out what pleases you.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Off to do some browsing then. ;)

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

I grow Radishes , Cilatro , borage [ self seeding - it's everywhere in yard . ] green onions .
Now is time to start watching for seeds packages on sale .
Bad time for bugs - almost all are eating everything they can find and the birds are digging for worms in my yard garden .
They cats are laying on plants watching the birds .

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Radishes are one plant I have a horrible time growing Tony :(. Mine were hit really hard by root magots and over the past few years the Canadian Government has pulled just about every chemical off the shelf, we are pretty organic now (not always by choice). I should really check around for sales now too. Borage has long been a fav plant of mine but I've never grown Cilatro (should check that out we enjoy Thai, etc.dishes).

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Onions have also always given me problems (re root maggots) esp with seeds but this year I bought the sets, etc. and only lost 2 or 3 (out of 200 planted) to the little devils.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.