Anyone drying hydrangea blooms for winter bouquets?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

If so..how do you dry yours..upright or up side down?

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I dry mine upright in a vase. There's a good article on drying hydrangea blooms at

www.bhg/driedhydrangeas

For some reason I can't get it to take the whole address. After bhg there is supposed to

/driedhydrangeas. I've really got to learn how to do these hyperlinks!

Sherry

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/story/data/1143498549812.xml&ordersrc=rdbhg1037

Ok, I read up in FAQ's about how to do a hyperlink, so maybe this one will work,
Sherry

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey thanks, Sherry! I always dry mine standing up too..but I have never put them in water like the article said! Do you?????? Mine dry just fine without water?!

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

What usually happens is I arrange a vase of them for the living room. Then I forget about them and by the time I check them again, they are dried! Sometimes the water is all gone and sometimes it's not. I actually discovered this method by accident. It doesn't make sense does it? But I have 15 dried blooms right now and I'm thinking abt trying my hand at a wreath. I've never done crafty stuff like that but I just can't bear to throw these things away!
Sherry

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Marcy I have never added water to the vase either and they dry just fine. I usually can't tell if they are dried or not until I touch them because they dry so naturally.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Same here Stacysmom! Let me ask you all this..... have you found NOT to try and dry them when they are still white blooms? I did cut some white...not many...and they just seem to shrivel up and die..unlike the ones that have turned pink and green. These are from the same bush too.

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

What I've always done is cut the blooms when they are
still in prime condition. I tie 4 or 5 stems together, then
hang them upside down, hanging from a simple wire clothes
hanger, in a well ventilated area and outof the sunlight.

They dry really fast and no drooping or weak stems either.
Once they are completely dry, I take them outside, hook the
hanger on a low branch, then spray them with Aqia Net
hairspray, or any other cheap hairspray that has a bit of
laquer. Don't use the fine, expensive stuff. What this does
is help keep the petals from falling so easily, and it helps
to deter the cats too. They'll still bother the flowers, but when
they find out that it tastes crummy, will usually leave them alone.

Then I just take them inside and arrange as I please.
They really only last about a year or more, but then you have
a new crop the next year.

Canterbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Can I still dry them now? Mine are a beautiful Pink after being White all summer.
Thanks

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Sure you can Mimi! As long as they aren't brown!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Martha Stewart did a show on them last week - she was making wreaths - very nice looking. She said the directions would be on her web site.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh thanks Sarv! Gosh..I haven't seen Martha since she got out of jail...lol! Seems they have taken all her shows off our local tv!
I will go check that out. I always liked Martha myself...don't care what anyone says!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.