athyrium felix-femina 'Encourage' in deep shade?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hello -- I'd like to put this fern in a few spots at the front of my house -- in a couple spots it'd be in fairly deep shade, in the other spots it'd be getting just enough sun to make a difference. Right now I've got June hostas there -- the ones in the sunnier spots are thriving; in the shady spots they look much, much less robust. Is anyone growing this fern in deep shade? I'm wondering how well it does in those conditions, and if it has the apple green coloration there. Thanks very much! Laura

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Laura, you shouldn't have any problems. I have Athyrium felix-femina types in light shade to darkshade and they are all doing well. I am getting spores on the fronds on all of them also, so I'm starting them in plastic containers. good luck, hostajim1

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, hostajim!

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

wickerparker, I've collected spores from many of my ferns this year and have them under lights, I can't do them all though, so I'm trying to store the spores in envelopes until next spring. I started doing this last fall and was rewarded with so many plants that I'm going to have a plant sale next spring, with the ones I haven't planted in my landscape. hostajim1

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Hostajim1,
Post some PICS of your ferns, pretty please?!!!

(Zone 4a)

HostaJim,

I have some teeny Fern Athyrium felix-femina plantlets.
which are at least five months old..

Their growing is SO slow. I have them in indirect light.

Do you fertilize them, and at what age/height/whatever?

Thank you....all help appreciated.

Corinne

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Laura,

I've had felix fem in very shady spots and they did well and multiplied on their own after a few years. Just make sure to keep the soil consistently moist.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

thanks Lorettamar -- I put them in a couple weeks ago, and they're looking sooooo lovely. Very sad that with winter just around the corner they're such a brief pleasure.... till spring...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.