Minosa tree help

Grantsboro, NC

I have an over abundance of mimosa trees in the yard. They are trying to take over everything. They are also annoying in that the roots of these trees travel above the ground for several feet and make it very difficult to mow the yard. We just bought this place last year and they are coming up everywhere. They also grow very fast and everytime the wind blows a little the limbs are everywhere. The neighboring property is also filled with them and they are hanging right over us causing more to grow right in the ditch lines. Is there anything that can be done to get rid of these trees other than constantly trying to cut them down? I have one in the yard that I would like to keep, but I don't care if I never see another one again! The pea pods things they drop go everywhere and its really amazing how quickly these trees take up growth. Also, does anyone happen to know the lifespan of these trees because one very large one we currently have is running a lot of what looks like sap and seems to be dying. Any advice? Thank you.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2006 9:15 AM

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Good luck, you really need the neighbors help. If you kill off yours their seeds will just end up growing in your yard. If both of you go after them you can probably get rid of them in a couple of years. Just kill the big ones and then go after the small ones before they seed. It can be done.

Grantsboro, NC

Thanks for your advice. Maybe I should buy a small greenhouse, pull all of the small ones up, pot them and sell them on E-bay. Maybe, I can turn this annoyance into a profit ! lol :)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

That's highly possible, southernleegirl. I'm in the process of adding Mimosa to my stock inventory because so many people like them in our area.

My friend that has a few of the trees on her land keeps them in check by mowing; consistent lawn mowing tends to zap the energy out of the little volunteers pretty good. As for your big one, with the big roots you mentioned, I bet it will go down at some point in a storm...they are fairly susceptible to winds/rot, especially the ones that have multiple trunks.

Shoe.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

You should also post this on the Invasive Plants forum, southernleegirl; mimosa is high on the hit list of invasives, and lots of folks over there deal with it all the time.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks, spartacus...looks like I will NOT add mimosa to my selling stock! Yikes, although lovely to look at they can certainly get out of hand.

Shoe

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Shoe our place is about 2 miles from Southernlee and we are trying to kill them off also. The more we kill the more that grows. Have dug up roots, got killer plant/wood stuff from NC state that still doesn't phase those buggers.
Now I'll just start digging them up and giving to you. I need pots ttttttto puTTTT the Darn things in.

Lavina

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Good for you, Horseshoe, for deciding not to sell this blinking tree. It really is a monster: drops seedlings everywhere, and birds carry them all over. They root in anything and grow madly. Pretty tree, but not worth it; it's a real disaster.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.