Help With Hedgerow Please

Collingswood, NJ(Zone 6b)

I've been asking a lot of questions lately, but I've got one more and I'll give it a rest.

I'm planting a wildlife hedgerow 40' long and 15'-20' deep. It will get about four hours of full sun each day during the summer. I've only got a 1/4 acre lot, so I want it to be a real wildlife smorgasbord and intend including the following shrubs in quantities of two and three:
Amerlanchier stolonifera (running serviceberry)
Cornus sericea (redosier dogwood)
C. amomum (silky dogwood)
Corylus americana (American hazel)
Lindera benzoin (spicebush)
Quercus ilicifolia (scrub oak)
Rosa carolina (Carolina rose)
Rubus strigosus (Red raspberry)
Viburnum dentatum
V. trilobum
V. opulus americanus

It occurs to me that everything I've selected is deciduous so I need to add some evergreen, preferably coniferous.

My questions: Do you notice any real newbie mistakes? Do you have suggestions for evergreens? Anything I'm leaving out that should be included? I also intend to plant three trees in the same general area--Amelanchier Canadensis, Cornus alternifolia and Morus rubra.

I really appreciate any help.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Boy, looks like a pretty great list to me, altouygh there are a gazillion other things you could add if you expand it. You might consider a Crataegus for nesting and cover. Your choice of evergreen probably depends upon exposure and soil, but Juniperus virginiana is known for its birdnest-friendly structure without taking up too much room.
Guy S.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

For conifers, I'll see the Juniperus virginiana and raise you a Thuja plicata for spice (but not giving up too much ground).

Additionally: I'm not sure what you mean by Viburnum opulus americanus, but you may be synonymizing this and V. trilobum. In which case, plant one or the other. And multiple clones of whichever you choose (viburnum-wise).

You only have one species (V. trilobum) that has fruit that'll persist into winter (maybe the rose?); you might want to think that through further. Winterberries, crabapples, and hawthorns are a few species that could expand that list.

Beyond that, good list.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Also consider Elderberry, American holly, Viburnum acerifolium, Cornus racemosa, , Rubus odoratus, Symphoricarpos, Symplocos paniculata, add vines like grapes, bittersweet, hops

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Crataegus = Hawthorn of course. And Kevin put in some great addition(als).

Some conifers:

Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar'
Thuja occidentalis 'Hetz Wintergreen'
Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Green Arrow'
Picea pungens 'Fastigiata'
Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns'

Although cultivars, these will give you adequate room for the rest of your list!

Dax

Thanks for helping me fine-tune my hedgerow. I just got home from work and read your good ideas. Ok, ok, I'll get a Crataegus!

Guy, I thought of Juniperus virginiana early on and must have forgotten to write it down, thanks for bringing it to mind again. Since it's dioecious I guess I should ask for a male and a female? Which brings me to Kevin's list.

Kevin, we had three hollies when we moved in--two in great shape and a sickly varigated one. All three berried profusely. The varigated one snuffed it the following summer and I haven't had berries since. Perhaps if I can determine what kind of holly I have and do a little research on whether I have males or females, I can add what I need to the hedgerow and kill two birds, etc.

Prof VV, I was given three viburnums as a gift recenty and the label reads, "Viburnum op. var. amer. (American Cranberry). Are you saying that this is V. trilobum? I hadn't thought about fruit that persist in winter. Of course! Thanks for that.

Dax, I'm going to have to check our your list more thoroughly. A quick google search didn't tell me much. I'm going to have to spend a little more time here. The genus and species were all there, but the cultivars are going to take a little more time.

Thank you all!!!!

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

I wonder if you have considered deer damage and choice of plantings in your hedgerow. I have had mom and youngin bedding down and dinning in mine all summer and it has been a considerable problem. what do your neighbors have to say about deer in your neck of the woods? kt

Hi, kt. Deer aren't a problem for me here in Collingswood, NJ. We're a suburb of Philadelphia and it's too congested here and there's not much woodland. I do walk to the pond every morning with my dog and see fox, muskrat, racoons, water birds, etc., but no deer.

Sorry, kt, husband needed me so I cut my reply short. I wanted to ask you about your hedgerow. Did you plant it? What plants did you choose? What worked and what didn't work? What are the deer eating? Deer have become a serious problem in many areas of the country.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

I had a hedgerow at my old house, about 300' long, 20' wide. Here's what was in it if I can remember, from one end to the other(went from dry to wet)--

Cockspur Hawthorn
Mugo pine
Withchhazel
Acer ginnala
Magnolia 'Hot Flash'
Viburnum trilobum
Calycanthus
Kousa Dogwood
Cornus racemosa
Cornus obliqua
Carpinus caroliniana
Staphylea
Cornus alternifolia
Viburnum 'Alleghany'
Viburnum 'Mohican'
Thuja 'Green Giant'
Davida(suckering remains)
Hazelnut
Bitternut Hickory
Fringetree
Elderberry
Variegated pussy willows
Viburnum deamii
Redbud
Magnolia acuminata
Ilex verticillata
Blue spruce
Lilac
Rhus coppalina
Viburnum lentago
Acer monspessulanum
Ginkgo
Cutleaf sumac
Cornus amomum
Taxodium
Metasequoia

I'm sure there were other things in there I forgot, but you get the idea. I went by the other night, and it's big and beautiful, and doing its job of screening.

Kevin. Wow. Love. Quick questions, did you plant close together? Did you place the trees down the middle with the shrubby stuff on either side? Is it a critter magnet? Do you have a picture?

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

I planted so that after 4 years or so, everything was growing together. So, fairly close. The trees are everywhere, on either side, and in the middle. It was interesting to see the large trees shoot up, and the understory types fill in underneath. It was(is) definitely a magnet for birds of all types. This was on the edge of a wetland, so the diversity was huge. Flocks of cedar waxwings were very common, and they would descend on my place and strip berries from every possible plant. I will try and get by there and get a picture.

Speaking of birds--I noticed at my new place that I was getting tons of seedlings under my Vibrunums as the fruit went uneaten. There just isn't the bird interest here. I think the family of four Cooper Hawks that nest on the property keep the smaller birds away. As a benefit, I have hundreds of seedlings of V. dilatatum, V. dentatum, V. 'Mohican', V. molle, and even V. plicatum tomentosum. The start of another hedgerow......

This is under V. dilatatum 'Erie'

Thumbnail by Kevin_5
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It sounds wonderful. I live out and there is a hedgerow next to our property that I have taken care of for years. The last couple of years it has really taken a hit due to developement of the Old Farm that borders it on the other side. I've started adding a few plants and trees to give it new life. Just be careful of the vines like grape and honeysuckle. They can become a real problem and so does the wild roses that are in mine. I have Cedar Trees which add some winter cover and I have a Juniper Hedge (not in the Hedgerow) that the birds love. I'm going to check out your list I might be able to add some of that to mine.

Kevin, I work at Rutgers Univ in Camden, NJ, and the Business and Science building is encircled with Amelanchier canadensis. One of our faculty members, Ed McHugh, has a website devoted to the birds on our inner-city campus, and has kindly allowed me to post the following picture from his website for you.

Thumbnail by Fireweed87
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

All right, now I'm green with envy.

Rutgers! You've been holding out on us, Fireinthehole.

Home to one of the finest holly collections on the east coast, and one Dr. Elwin Orton, hybridizer extraordinaire. He is responsible for quite a few named plants that many of us have (or would like to have) in our gardens. Examples include:

Ilex opaca 'Jersey Knight'
Ilex opaca 'Jersey Princess'
Ilex opaca 'Jersey Delight' (probably offspring of above)
Ilex (verticillata x serrata) 'Autumn Glow'
Ilex (verticillata x serrata) 'Harvest Red'
Ilex (verticillata x serrata) 'Raritan Chief'
Cornus x rutgersensis Stellar® series

Orton has also created other crosses incorporating C. florida, C. kousa, and C. nuttallii. Named plants from this work include Venus™ and Starlight™.

Way back when I was a wee pup, I met Dr. Orton through membership in the Holly Society of America. One of my former places of employment (mid '80s) acquired ~30 mature Ilex opaca 'Jersey Princess' from Rutgers (about10-15' tall), and those plants look pretty darn good today.

I still remember one fine spring morning walking through the woody plant display area at Rutgers, and relishing the "new-fallen snow" carpet of blossoms under the Halesia tetraptera.

VV, Dr. Orton is at Cook Campus in New Brunswick, outside of New York, about two hours north of me. I'm at a smaller campus in Camden, NJ, just outside of Philadelphia.

Camden has the dubious distinction of being named most dangerous city in the US for the past two years running. Same sad story, Camden was at the center of the industrial manufacturing boom and the eventual industrial decline. Now there is a decay of public space and pervasive inner-city violence.

However, our campus is a lovely little gem at the foot of the Ben Franklin Bridge which leads to Philly. And we have quite a few birds here! If you get a chance, check out Ed McHugh's website at http://birds.camden.rutgers.edu/ He's got still photographs and videos of quite a few species.

Sherry

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the pic and link Sherry---helped me indentify a number of visitors I get here!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Fireweed87
Thanks for the info on the Campus. I'm a Volunteer Diver at the Aquarium in Camden and drive into the city every other week. I just love Cedar Wax Wings we don't get them very often at my feeders but they must migrate throught my area. Every year for a couple of days they come in and hit my Junipers I have a big Juniper hedge.

Riverton, NJ

wow what a small world. I worked at the childrens garden from the time it opened,i've left the job since. I also have a family in collingswood and a few gardens I tend in town.
I'm in Riverton NJ. Your hedgerow sounds very intresting, for winter intrest maybe a few red twig dogwoods?
I do alot of hummingbird and butterfly gardens and there are always new plants to try, it;s always an addition to my addiction.
When you get this wonderful project done, can you please post pics. I know we'd all love to see it!

Happy Gardening!

Yo HollyAnnS and brassica! The internet has made our world smaller and smaller, hasn't it. I love Cedar Waxwings, too, and I hope to have some stop at my place once my hedgerow is up and running. Good to hear they like Juniperus virginia, I'm looking for it. Someone told me to try Redbud Nursery in Glen Mills. HollyAnn, do you dive into the shark tank!?!

Brassica, I love the Children's Garden, but haven't been in a while. Thanks for the reminder. I think I'll talk a walk over there on a lunch hour this week. A friend of mine offered to give me some red twig dogwoods just yesterday. I told her I'd be over to her place with my spade next weekend!

Great to hear from two neighbors!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, I do get to dive the Shark Relm. One of the things I like best is watching the children they get so excited when we are in that tank. I haven't been over to the children's garden lately myself. The last time I was there it was pretty nice. Needed a little paint but it was towards the end of the season and they have such cute ideas. My kids are grown but we had fun watching everyone else's. Next year I'll have to take my grandson. Your right it is a small world

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a little fall color from my hedge row.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

These pictures just don't give justice.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Peoria, IL

I agree about not doing them justice. Cameras don't like wide variation in lighting. Something goes black, something goes white and the in between isn't too much to talk about. Try taking the picture on a cloudy day. Or after the sun is low enought that everything is in shadow (6:00 P.M.-ish.) You may need a tripod or an alternative, like the hood of a car to set the camera on to steady it. Ever so gently press the shutter button or use a timer if available.

Regards,
Ernie

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I am strictly a point and shoot with a basic digital camera. I keep thinking about taking a photography class at the local Area College. Especially when I look at pictures like these and see how much of the beauty I miss. It’s 6:00 and the sun is going down I’m going out to try again and see what I get thanks for the tips. Holly

Ok, that didn’t work just got a phone call and twenty min later I can’t get anything good. I’ll have to try tomorrow. Thanks again.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Holly,

Don't feel bad. I flunked the photography class also. I've done exactly what Ernie says to do and they come out too dark to make anything out. Today was cloudy, my girlfriend wanted to see how I'd painted the front porch, I took pictures and each one, except the one where some light was actually shining, were way too dark to send to her. The ones in the shadow needed to be lightened and then they look fake. I took an online photography class. Didn't help much. I don't have the fancy 1000 buck camera, but one of mine has a lot of bells and whistles. I don't understand it or the book. My other one is an old HP camera, point and shoot. I much prefer that one. Easier all around.

Metairie, LA

Speaking of photos--this is what I found in my small pine grove today. Almost stepped on it and it scared the wits out of me.

Thumbnail by liveoaklady
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Terry, I swear these trees change over night. They are even more beautiful than yesterday. There is a dark red Dogwood, bright yellow Sasafrass and beautiful orange brown Oak.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Liveoaklady
What kind of snake is that? Poisonous? Several years ago they sold the farm next to us. Just on the other side of the hedgerow. It’s not a bad development just 18 homes on 60 acres. In the summer time with leaves on the trees you can’t even see the houses. They are just starting to peek out at me as the trees loose their leaves. But ever since they started the building we have gotten more snakes that ever before just Black snakes and Gardner snakes which are not poisonous. I don’t really mind them but you can get a nasty bite from a black snake. Somehow one got into my laundry room and was lying on my washer. I almost missed him, there is a thick black electric line the runs along the wall at the same height as the top of my washer and he was laying along that cord with the end of his body on top of my washer. By the way I'v been down south and just love the Liveoaks.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Metairie, LA

Someone told me it was a rat snake, someone told me it is a blue runner. They are not poisonous but will make you sick anyway if they bite you. Our poisonous snakes in southeast Louisiana are the water mocassins and the rattlesnakes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.