window boxes

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

I'm wondering if there is anything that will survive the winter in a window box. I'm thinking about something everygreen maybe. But I'm also thinking, when we had that 90 degree week up here, I lost half the plants in my boxes, even though I watered regularly. This is a southern exposure, full sun. My boxes look pitiful (one actually didn't crater, but I don't know why because the plants, dirt, water, etc. are all the same.) Is there anything I could plant now that wouldn't be history in a few weeks? Is there any kind of base sort of plant that would overwinter and be there in the spring to start out from? Or, is it scratch every spring?

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

I've had both pansies and snapdragons winter over in windowboxes for several years running. Your best bet for windowboxes would be plants that readily self seed and to make sure you fertilize the windowbox periodically. Watering by itself isn't enough.

I know these are pricey, but I use them in my windowboxes and they work well:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=10408&cat=2,2280,54307&ap=1

They release water as needed by the plants.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2006 1:46 PM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, the snaps often over winter and so do some dianthus. I wish we knew the names but it was so long ago that we planted them from seed. Every year they're back.

(Zone 4a)

I have heard that if you put styrofoam in them as protection it will help?? Not sure if true or not??? Use it like insulation around the edges??

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

A dianthus survived from last winter. It's not pretty but it bloomed again. I had one snap and one rather nice marigold, but those are seedling volunteers. Perilla comes back with a passion. I bought some years ago and planted it in large pots on my deck steps. It has seeds that overwinter. I always have some now and they grow into huge plants and make new seeds. I would put the boxes you want to overwinter into a dry cold space. dawn, it would be a lot of work to try to overwinter them unless you had a cold frame. Oh, I have two dwarf alberta spruce in pots by my kitchen door. They overwinter very nicely as they have the house to block the prevailing winds. I tried a maple in a pot, but it croaked the first winter. I had lily bulbs grow in pots until the asiatic lily beetles killed them off this spring. I fought the bug and lost. but they were a good 8 years in the same pots over the winter. I think it depends on the size of your boxes and the severity of your weather what will make it through.
Martha

Thanks for the comments. I guess if there really were plants to leave in boxes over the winter more people would be doing it. I just had the fantasy of some ivy or another, or just something with branches that would be there through the winter. Oh well.

Yes, you're right - we do have two ivies that do remain in brick, attached boxes but they're a cross between planting boxes and window boxes. If you want photos just let me know. I do not have any I.D.'s for either ivy but can take close up photos.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

here's my best window box this summer. Annuals only, however, but it has red begonias on the other side where the white ones are here. I planted school colors, red and white, for my daughter's graduation this year.
Martha

This message was edited Aug 28, 2006 6:22 PM

Thumbnail by gardenmart

Martha, beautiful. My boxes were pitiful this year. They were much prettier last year. This is only my second year to try boxes as we just added the porch two summers ago. I guess maybe I'll get better as time goes on. I think I really missed out when I didn't put petunias in them because the ones in the beds are flourishing and crowding out other plants. You have impatiens, are they full sun? My boxes are full sun! I mean all day.

Pirl, I would be interested to know what kind of ivy. I could try some, see if it works.

Thanks for your responses.

First ivy.

Thumbnail by pirl

Second.

Thumbnail by pirl

First ivy shown as it has taken over!

Thumbnail by pirl
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

candyinpok ~ These all re-seed them selfs for me. Cosmo's, Morning Glories, Moss Rose's, and Snapdragons. I'm considered a zone 5 but my winters are more a zone 4 as I live next to a lake and in a valley.
Edited to say: I forgot the Pansies! Also, in winter we cut boughs of evergreen and dried berries and place them in the window box's for a filler. Just an idea.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2006 5:29 PM

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Pirl, those ivies are lovely. I just noticed that you're two zones warmer than me though. I guess vincas come back in gardens here. These remind me of English Ivy. I'll do a search and see what the zones are on them.

Pixie, I had some Cosmos reseed here too, in the garden and two years ago a pansy that I never had myself, poped up behind the shrubs and now it comes back every year. It was huge this year. That was a surprise. And in a bed that I cleaned out and filled with annuals this year I had a portulaca that I didn't plant either. I haven't had portulaca for years. (It just dawned on me that it could have been in with the annuals I planted.) But in my window boxes, nothing seemed to sprout on its own except a few maple seedlings between my annuals.

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

What a great thread--do you think "window boxes" would be a good idea for a forum? I'm going to be starting some window boxes next spring and I imagine people could share a lot of information about what has worked best for them. I've really enjoyed looking at everyone's pictures as well.

Since I don't have window boxes yet I'm afraid I really can't help with ideas for things that can overwinter. I imagine that when the time comes I'd most likely place mums or something to that effect in the boxes in the fall, and I really like the suggestion of putting evergreens in them over the winter. :)

As a side note, if anyone has any suggestions on how to attach window boxes to your windows without promoting any wood rot, etc, please let me know. We are going to be investing in some copper/wrought iron boxes for the windows at the front of our house and I want to make sure I'm installing them properly without causing any damage.

Niere - do you have a photo of the window boxes you'll be installing? They sound lovely! Also, a close up photo of one of the windows would be very helpful.

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Hi pirl--here's a link to a picture of the window boxes:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/hooksandlattice_1913_5386593

Here's the front of our house--I think it's just SCREAMING for window boxes. But the ones we have picked are on the pricey side, so for this year we'll only be able to afford putting them on the top floor windows. We hope to be able to do the bottom ones next fall.

Thumbnail by Niere
Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Here's a picture of one of our windows up close:

Edit--just wanted to add that the window boxes are going to be 48", and even with that they are going to be just a tad short, but I don't think it will be too noticeable.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2006 11:54 AM

Thumbnail by Niere

Lovely, classic home! The second door is a terrific color!

I think a photo of the window box would be helpful, maybe two: front and back. Then I'll have an expert look at it for you.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Niere,
If you plant a nice full box, things will spill over the edge and your box will look a lot wider than it is! People's eyes will also be drawn to the colors and the textures of the things you are growing rather than any size disparity between the window and box. A couple of inches isn't anything. If you only had a really little one in comparison to your window, that might make a difference.
Also, you say you are going to put the boxes on the upstairs? have you figured out how you are going to keep them watered?
I like your house!
Martha

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Thanks pirl! :D I'm afraid I can't take credit for the second door color (that choice was made by the previous owner), but I like it too. I wish I could supply you with a front and back picture of the window boxes but I can't. I plan on ordering them within the next week or two and I'm not sure how long it will take for them to come in. Can I get a raincheck on that expert opinion? I'd really appreciate it!

gardenmart--oops, I'm sorry--Martha!--thanks--I like our house too! I'm glad you don't think that the size differntial is going to matter in regards to the windows vs. the boxes. My thinking in regards to plantings is initially to start with things I know I can handle and flowers that I know will "pop" such as impatiens. Since they are going to be on the second story I don't want to have to deal with anything I have to deadhead, such as petunias. As for watering--what I'm thinking we'll do is remove the screens for the summer and just water the boxes from the inside. If we want to open those windows for fresh air we can use a little screen insert. We'd open the windows from the top down and put the insert up top as we have little kidlets to consider. :)

Do you have any ideas I could use for plantings that will make a bold color statement (since our home is set back quite a bit from the road) yet won't require a ton of care? I'd love any suggestions! :D

This message was edited Aug 30, 2006 9:58 PM

This message was edited Aug 30, 2006 10:00 PM

The raincheck is yours! Did you order them through an online site so we could all see them?

Geraniums (actually pelargoniums but it's too late for that discussion) the same color as the second door, lots of dusty miller (the lighter gray would flow in beautifully with the siding) and then white plants - maybe alyssum.

Edited to add: none of them will need huge amounts of water.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2006 10:16 PM

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Pirl--thank you--seriously, I really appreciate it. I posted a link to a picture of the window box in the post I made that had the picture of our home--is it not working for you? Let me know I'll find another link. :) And your recommendation for plantings sounds stunning. I'm going to need to go write this down in my journal...and it's perfect that they won't need a lot of water.

Candyinpok--let me know if I need to start a new thread on this--I don't want to hijack your discussion!

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Pop Bottle Irrigation: Instead of purchasing costly aqua spikes, make your own drip irrigation system. http://www.yougrowgirl.com/tips_water.php

~* Robin

Niere - just blame it on my senility! I saw the link, now that you mentioned it again and they're lovely. I especially like the fact that you'd use liners, inside, because the wood will rot if you don't. They have trays that go under those liners, too. I have them.

Is your home done in vinyl? Most homeowners try to avoid drilling holes into vinyl so hopefully instructions will come with the window boxes that would not call for that.

Robin: excellent link! Wish I'd done it when I planted my pots in May! Have to pull out many dead plants now and try and find replacements at this time of year.

Niere - don't start a new thread, the more discussion, the more ideas I get. I had a pitiful year this year with the boxes and I want a plan for next year. I had only two boxes last year because I couldnt' find the deck hangers to add the other two I wanted. With only two boxes, I was extravagent with plants. This year I had the four and was feeling poor in the spring. Hence the bad year. I can't find the stake for the plants I've had both years, but it cascades over the edge and has masses of tiny white bell shaped flowers and I absolutely love that one. It suffered in the 90 degree heat wave, but didn't die. The Callie Rose Star stayed alive and came back in flower after the weather cooled, but the ageratum and salvia died mostly. (I just found the stake, it is Big White Falls Bacopa.) So I need upright annuals that would put on a show and not crater in the July/August heat waves, and I'd love to have some green ivy to supplement the Bacopa which I fully intend to get again next year.

And, as to your house, I can see where window boxes would really stand out. But the farther from the street you are, the showier the plants should be. Last year I had geraniums and they put on a pretty good show, but you have to keep taking off the flowers and they need feeding as do a bunch of annuals I can think of if they're going to produce heavily.

Any way, I hope we get more feedback, the more the merrier.

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

I know it won't make for an especially exciting arrangement, but impatiens do very well in containers, bloom all season, are very inexpensive and easy to grow, come in a variety of colors, don't need to be pinched or deadheadded, need little more than a daily watering, and where I am last about 8-9 months. They may be an ideal candidate for any second story windowboxes you are planning to add even after you gain some expertise with some more unique plants as I don't think you're going to want to be hanging out of your second story windows caring for more fickle plants every day.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2006 8:32 PM

But keep in mind that the common impatiens are shade lovers. New Guinea Impatiens are the ones that survive full sun.

"New Guinea impatiens were developed as impatiens that would tolerate more sun than others and they need more light than other varieties to bloom. But our summer sun can be too intense for them unless you can be absolutely sure they have adequate moisture. Fortunately, New Guinea impatiens are rather forgiving. If you find them wilted, water them immediately and they are likely to recover."

http://www.bachmans.com/tipsheets/Annuals/Impatiens.cfm
Here's a link that discusses various impatiens.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

It's ok niere, I answer to both names! The impatiens, regular or New Guinea, would both grow large enough to spill over the top of the box. You might want to try the water retaining crystals in the soil, too. but the question of how much sun you get would also help make your decision about what to put in the boxes. For a sunnier spot, look at the picture of my box in this thread. I have alyssum, red and white begonias, and there are actually geraniums in there and a couple of pieces of ivy. This plastic window box gets full sun from about 9 to about 1. I had to water twice a day when the heat was up to 100 this summer, but otherwise, the rain has been coming at regular intervals and keeping it watered and it has not been as much of a chore. The begonias are just about popping out of the box. If I had planted them to the edge, the box would be about six inches wider in appearance due to the fullness of the plants. They are just regular begonias from one of those 24 packs at Homey D's. I put osmacote in the box, too.
Martha

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have small concrete planters along the hot driveway with plants that overwinter well. I am 1 zone warmer than you candyinpook but as I understand you need to get plants 2 zones colder to allow for the more exposed roots. I have Irises, varigated mint, rose campion, penstemon "Husker Red", Phlox subulata (low but evergreen), seaholly and red russian (edible) kale and chives (lavender blooms all season and good compliment of Irises). The rose campion forms silvery rosettes that look good until February. The husker red penstemon also forms rosettes with red veins which look nice with the similarly veined but larger leaved kale, add thyme for smaller leaved texture. The plants that maintain rosettes look nice in the winter backed with evergreen boughs and berries, the evergreens will also add insulation. Pansies would be a pretty addition but I have too much wind or don't remember to water enough for them to survive in pots. I've even tried them in large pots that were well wrapped.

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

The rose campion rosettes are surrounded by lavender. I'll try to find a photo of it in bloom.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here's a picture of the Husker Red Penstemon digitalis in the rosette form next to the kale. Also shown in the photo are golden marjoram, chrysthemum and verbena. The marjoram is a lovely ground cover but has no winter presence here. The verbena is only borderline hardy here, it survives in the ground if I cover it with a flat rock. I'll also try to find a photo of the penstemon and kale in bloom.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2006 6:11 AM

This message was edited Sep 3, 2006 8:33 AM

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here is the evergreen moss phlox subulata heavily clipped, surrounded by Sedum "Autumn Joy", lambs ear , aster and switch grass.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2006 6:10 AM

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is a photo of the phlox in bloom.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is the Iris with chives.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is the Penstemon in bloom. Even nicer then the blooms are the red seed pods and red stems that last most of the summer before the pods turn brown. They look great interplanted with black eyed susans and red tinged switch grass.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is the rose campion. The variegated white and grey-green iris is also nice with the campion. The long graceful seed pods sweeping forward belongs to the red kale.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2006 7:15 AM

sempervirens, sorry if this has been discussed before and it's off topic but, what are the twine (whatever it is) balls?

Two zones colder - that's good information I didn't know about. And, I never thought of Kale. That could get me throught this season at least since it's already cooling down. I was just at my favorite nursery. They had everyting on sale. Boy it was hard to walk away with only one cart load! Probably if anyone has kale, this would be the season as I see it in many commercial gardens this time of year.

I really like that low growing phlox too. I think I'll need some of that in a few places.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

The decorative "straw" balls are from IKEA but are made in Vietnam. I'd guess they are made of thin pieces of bamboo. They are labeled KITTE 4 7/8". I use them on top of stakes decoratively and practically to prevent the sharp edge being exposed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.