Squash Plant Problems

Lansing, NY(Zone 5b)

I just noticed that our butternut squash plants have white spots all over the leaves and are starting to yellow. What causes this and how can I prevent/fix it? Also, our zucchini and yellow squash plants have white grubs in them. Any suggestions of how to get rid of them or prevent them next year?

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

There is a borer that affects squash type veggies... the mature insect lays an egg in the stem, at the lowest point. The worm then eats the vine from the inside out - you can see some yellowish crud seeping out of the vine where the worm is located. If this is your problem, then you can slice the vine open right where you see the crud, & cut the worm to bits. Then duct tape tje vine shut, & cover the stem with soil. If the vine is too far gone, you can cover the vine further down the vine with soil to promote rooting. Then the remainder of the vine will not perish due to the worm. (You still must kill the worm) Some folks have had success with taping the stem early on to prevent the insect from laying the egg, or encircling the stem with a cut out plastic soda bottle. Your best bet is to keep vigilant. I get them every year without fail - I just have to get on them as soon as they are visible.
Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.