Mushrooms

Crossville, TN

Over the summer I purchased organic soil from a local vendor and it proved to be really wonderful for my plants. However, lately I have noticed large quantities of a grayish colored mushroom sprouting everywhere I have the dirt, even in my potted bay laurel. I have been told that this organic soil contains some mushroom dirt.

Has anyone else ever encountered this problem, and if so, HELP?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Although I can't help you with your situation, I wanted to Welcome you to Dave's Garden and the Mid-South Gardening Forum.

Maybe someone will come along who can assist you. Please join in on any of the thread on this forum. You will find the people posting here to be very nice and accepting.

Judy

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Welcome barnegat917
I have the same problem here. Whenever the soil is wet enough....out come the 'shrooms. Mind you, thats not happening alot this summer. The rain seems to just miss us.

I'd be interested in the responses you get however I don't worry about it. I just pluck them out and add to the compost.

Carol in Toone TN
http://www.justfurkids.com/TNmove.html

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Mushrooms just mean there are spores present and the conditions are right for them to sprout (or whatever it is they do). My

mulch often has fungus spores that appear (some if it looks really yucky) - but I turn them over and ignore them. It just means that nature is doing what nature does, which is break down organic matter into humus.

Crossville, TN

Thanks for the advice. I am looking forward to using this site and hopefully, I may have something to contribute back.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine sprouts pretty yellow mushrooms, easy to uproot. I just always assumed it was from mushroom spores in the soil. Compost them, they won't hurt any herbs or vegies they grow with... pod

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

barnegat917, we're happy you're here!!!!

A lack of useful information to share??? HA! That's never stopped us (well, I should only speak for myself....) from posting ;o)

Seriously - don't take us too seriously. But I really wouldn't worry about the fungi showing up...it's pretty normal, especially with the humidity we get around here.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

barnegat917, welcome! We're a happy bunch in the Mid-South forum, and we have a LOT of fun. We're glad you've joined us! Just jump on in and shout whenever you want!

Pat

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

My DH takes pride in the huge mushrooms in the backyard. He believes that they are a result of his constant care and attention to his lawn ("I've made this soil sooooo rich!").
;-)

Philadelphia, MS(Zone 7b)

barnegat917 - Welcome, welcome. I dated a guy briefly from Crossville about 35 years ago! Beautiful area!!
Just be forewarned - this forum can become addictive! I rarely have anything useful or insightful to add, and these folks seem to tolerate me well. I'm sure you have much to offer. We are a fun loving group and these folks are so SMART! I've learned so much that I've started a folder of all the info. I just don't want them to ever see my yard - I may be banned!
See, can't help you on the mushroom issue - just jumped right in anyway. Right now I would love to see just about anything that meant there was moisture present.
Deb (the redneck looney one)

Augusta, AR(Zone 8a)

I get the little clumpy type mushrooms in my compost. They don't seem to hurt the plants that I have noticed, however I do pluck them out before they open up and disperse their spores/seed. They look like some kind of alien 'shroom' because they are inverted, lol.

Addictive it is! These guys have hijacked my life... : )) Glad you will join us... pod

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Welcome aboard barnegat917 :-)
I'm one of the other debs here, but just as looney. I believe I was dropped on my head as a small child...

Philadelphia, MS(Zone 7b)

Justdeb...let's just say we "ain't right"
Deb

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

;-p

Hmmm. tooo many 'shrooms? : ))

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I've learned that I can grow mushrooms, ginger and brugs in the same pot. Only the brug was supposed to be in the pot, the other just appeared. lol lol

Remind me one day to tell you about my Topsy!!

Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

speaking of mushrooms, I have just taken some pictures of somemushrooms in the yard, where would one post those asking for id's on what kind they are, and wanting to know the difference between the edible and non edible, just down right mushroom info is what I was wanting.

welcome barnegat

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

oooh....they are all inedible. I make a rule, I'll eat anything but:
pizza
ice cream
potatoe chips (hate salt - yuk)
fungus

;-)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

You don't eat pizza or ice cream? what's wrong with you LOL

kathy

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)