Climbing tropical fruit tree

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

i posted this first on Plant ID forum - then I found this one....

Can somebody please tell me what this plant is. The fruit is said to taste melon -like. It is a true climber. Red elongated fruit 30cm long. Makes good juice which keeps its flavour. This photo is of a fruit which is being grown in the Sao Paulo region of Brazil. I do not yet have seeds to share but hope to one day!!!

Thumbnail by B1ZZYL1ZZY
Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

The Brazilian lady calls this fruit Jamelao but I have not found it under this name in Google.

Thumbnail by B1ZZYL1ZZY
Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

These are the seeds when dried.

Thumbnail by B1ZZYL1ZZY
Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

this has been solved over on ID - it is Sicana odorifera

Miami, FL

I grew this plant 1954 in south Florida. I got it at a Rare Fruit Council meeting. I didn't remember the name of the plant by the time I got home. But I did remember that it was a vigorous climber. I planted it next to a pine tree. It climbed up very quickly and the active growth was all at the top of the large pine tree. The flowers were large. They were male or female just like most of the other Cucurbitas. Big fruit was all over the top of the tree. But after a cold night in the high 30's the plant died and the fruit turned purple, but too far up to harvest. By the time they fell they were rotten. That was enough for me. This is the first that I have seen any information about the plant.
Here is the site found that reminded me of my plant: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/cassabanana.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.