Fiber optic grass for containers inside?

Bensalem, PA(Zone 6b)

I recently discovered this forum and LOVE the beautiful containers you all have put together. GORGEOUS!
I'm so inspired!
I particularly love the look of fiber optic grass in containers. I wasn't aware of this adorable grass till I joined DG a couple of weeks ago.
I've decided I absolutely MUST have some for next years containers.
So my question is if I buy some now can I overwinter it and divide it for next spring?
I'd love to be able to grow some from seed but after researching it I don't really see that as an option. If someone else knows differently please let me know. The uses for it seem to be endless.
If I ordered it online now could I keep it and grow it inside in my sunroom?
Hopefully I'm asking in the right forum.
I looked in propogation and wintersowing but couldn't really find much info there.
I'd really appreciate any experience you all might have.
Thanks so much!
Becky

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think you could--it's hardy here so I left mine in my garden last winter and it looked nice and pretty and green all winter, so I would assume if you put it in a pot and brought it inside it would do the same for you. I've never seen seeds, so your best bet is a plant, and it's up to you whether you buy it now or wait until spring. But if you're generally good at keeping houseplants alive and you've got a bright window to keep it in you should be fine. I don't know about dividing it though--it won't likely grow much over the winter, so unless you're buying a really big plant to begin with there won't be much to divide. And if you do have a big plant that could be divided, I would do that now in the fall and then overwinter the divisions in their own pots.

Bensalem, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks ecrane!
You've been a tremendous help.
I think I'm gonna order 2 plants. They're kinda pricey but worth it I think.
I'll try keeping them in my southwest facing sunroom till spring and use them both in containers. Then when they get bigger I'll divide them.
Thanks again.
Becky

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.