Seed Pods

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

pic of spritz showing a loaded seed pod

Thumbnail by phicks

Looks ready to burst with babies, LOL

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Crystal, i couldn't have said it better!!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Okay you canna pros, what part is the seed??? We have wild cannas in front of our rental house. I see the little pods like Paul has pictured here - but what do the seeds look like? Are they winged?

Thanks,

~Sunny

Hi Sunny
When the green pod turns brownish, there will be a hard little black ball (seed) inside it. Some canna hybrids won't develope seeds.

Crystal

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Crystal - about how big are they, and is there more than one?

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

Hineni, heres a picture of some seeds from my cannas. Yes, there can be more than 1 seed per pod.

Thumbnail by MrEli
Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, okay, I should be able to see those...LOL. Thank you MrEli.

~Sunny

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

anyone have any luck planting the seeds that are white still? i opened one up too early and it was white. just want to know if its a dud now

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

yup they will grow i started a few to try allso if you keep the white seed in the dark for a while it will turn brown then black Regards Paul

Salina, OK(Zone 6b)

Are the seeds easy to grow?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes

Placerville, CA(Zone 7b)

Hello members :-)

I guess I could be considered an experienced gardener for over 30 years, but until very recently never had Cannas in my garden. A friend gave me a few which in about 5 years grew into a beautiful diplay approx. 100sq feet. I'm don't know the variety, but it is bright red, has the smaller petals on each bloom and of course is very prolific in this Zone 7 area of the Sierra Foothills of Northern California. In the past I've pretty much used this Canna for it's tropical looking foliage ... as a backdrop ... but have always loved the bright red that pops out at you from the partial shaded area in which it grows.

When I recently (and reluctantly) sold my home and large garden to downsize things (couldn't do all the work by myself anymore) I found a smaller place and started a smaller garden from scratch. I dug up a few of the Canna's during late Winter and moved them here. They have already started to divide ... even in this clay soil we have at the new place (I was use to nice sandy loam). In any case ... my basic question is:

I've read here that one can easily start the cannas from seeds. Mine have pretty much finished blooming ... though a second, smaller bloom in on it's way. I collected the dried pods, removed their covers and have the seeds ready to plant. At my old place I always just dug up the cannas that started here and there where they sprouted ... in the ground ... on their own. I'm a bit concerned about trying the seeds in the ground because of the clay soil. Anyone know if they start easily in pots? If so can someone suggest a good way to do that (the medium to plant them in, inside or out, when, etc.).

Glad I found this website :-). Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Tim

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Gosh Tim, nobody else answered you so I decided to. 2 years ago someone sent me a few seeds so I stuck them in last spring. They sat all winter, were redish brown, and hard. Anyway, they came up last summer,. in a pot, 'cause I cannot dig them up and I am zone 5. The tropical look to the leaves was really nice and they did not bloom. Come last fall I put them, pot and all, in the root celler, watered them once all winter, took them out this spring, watered and fertilized them, and they came up!!

Then they bloomed. Now, I do not know what the parent looked like, but these were a very nice yellow, and I would say a dwarf, altho maybe that is because I did not divide them, or give them new soil, or . . . . . . . . .

Now, another fall is here and I think I am just going to put them away for the winter like I did last year and then in the spring I am going to take them out of the pot and divide them and give them new soil.

I had never had Cannas before, and this is my experience with them.

Jeanette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.