Need info on care of young Thuja Green Giant trees

Grantsboro, NC

Does anyone have any experience with planting Thuja Green Giants? I have planted 40, 8-12 inch trees and have planted them appropriately to the planting instructions given. The company said you could not overwater these trees, but I found other info that says, these trees can be drowned. Mine are constantly turning brown and dying and I dont know what could be the problem. They seem to turn browner and die after a good rain with myself watering them about once a week. They are supposed to be disease resistant and adaptable to any soil condition. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.....From Pamlico Co. N.C.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Those are plant and forget trees, I have no idea why yours are dying. It's sort of strange, I wouldn't do anything to them. Did you plant them in a low spot? Maybe they just aren't getting a chance to dry out?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Just curious but what kind of soil are they planted in? Sandy? Red clay? Loamy? And id you mix any amendments into the soil at planting time, be it compost or bagged soil, or any fertilizer/plant food?

That info would help to figure out what is going on with your trees, southernleegirl.

Shoe

Grantsboro, NC

Horseshoe and others,
I have been told the dirt here is referred to as "salt clay." Most of the dirt in this yard is a gray to tan colored clay underneath. This used to be tobacco farmland. I have planted many other things here including several palms trees and they are growing great. When I planted the Thuja trees, I used potting soil, mulched them and created a water basin. I also added a row of pine straw on top of the mulch to keep grass away better. After I had lost over three of them, I read that these trees love fertilizer so I added a mixture of water and Peter's plant food mix. I used the amount indicated for trees, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Thus far, I have lost 12 out of 40 trees . The owner of the tree company said, these trees are very adaptable to many soil types including clay. I wonder if they could possibly be getting too dry and then too wet because it seems to rain after I water them myself. Could planting them this summer have been the wrong time for these trees to be planted? It has been very hot here in zone 8a especially at the beginning of August, but now has cooled off somewhat. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2006 8:13 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.