What would you do with it?

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

This is my front yard. It looks pretty pitiful. The green that you see is mostly weeds. The rest is dirt, except for those massive evergreen shrubs. It came that way. I just bought the house this spring. I really need to do something to stop it from being the neighborhood eyesore, but I just found out I'm going to have to spend a couple thousand dollars in dental bills in the next couple months, so there went any mad money I might have had and then some. That doesn't mean I have no money, just not very much right now.

I'm perfectly okay with xeriscaping, hardscaping, rocks, mulch. It doesn't have to be a solid, putting-green type lawn, although some grass to walk on would be okay. It slopes gently uphill until you get to the shrubs, then the slope gets sharper. Under the window, in back of the shrubs, is a strip of mulch. Would be a perfect place to put some flowers except that no one could see them. The bare spot is where I think they once had a large tree. Some roots are still there.

I'm not crazy about the shrubs, btw. There seem to be a lot of bees, wasps, and spiders in them, and I've always heard that you shouldn't have anything obscuring windows because thieves love it. And they're just really massive.

I'm also not crazy about hostas, although that seems to be the first thing people think of.

I appear to have an irrigation system, but I have no clue what shape it's in. Undoubtedly it will have to be fixed/replaced or something. I'd like to put a bush or tree off to the left somewhere, viburnum, lilac, or hydrangea. Some edging and a stepping stone path might be nice. Some rocks accentuated by dwarf irises or daffodils, perhaps.

Any ideas? I probably won't be able to do anything until next spring at this point. But I'd welcome some brainstorming.

Thumbnail by White_Hydrangea
This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!