explain this soil

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

what is that soil that does not immediately absorb water. It is like a synthetic fabric where the water sits atop it for a few seconds or almost like it is water repellant?

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

sounds like clay. Is that what you have in your garden?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

After a fire, soil can become that way. It forms a slick hard surface that won't absorb water -- I believe it is called hydrophobic soil. We had that all over our mountains here after our big fire in 2000. Is that what you mean?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

No. I am working in a friends yard. The house is 100 yrs old. No amendments to soil, I bet, until this past few weeks. We took all the sod around the place off w/ a sod buster. It was really dandelions not grass. It was hard hard hard until we took a rototiller thru. We had no clods to break or 'bust' up. It had not been watered or tilled since heaven knows when.

Denver, CO

Is it dry? Sounds like "hydrophobia" resulting from a dustiness to the soil, resulting from overworking and/or dryness.
And taking off the sod probably raped the topsoil of most of the nutrients, unfortunately. For future reference, it is more ecologically (and work-wise) sound to roundup unwanted turf.

If this is the case, it is, in fact, water repellant. Quick Solution for a large area: grab someone's hose-end chemical-applicator type sprayer and put in a watered-down solution of a couple tablespoons of a no-frills dishsoap. Spray a layer down before you put out sprinklers to soak it.

I hope you added a bunch of compost or manure when you tilled, otherwise tilling isn't really useful at all. Also try to avoid tilling under trees. Hope this helps,
K. James

(I saw the neatest yard in Vancouver, WA. It was on the main drag, had a Wisteria, a great Yucca of some sort, vines, a palm or two, and great design with other grand plants in general. If ever you stop by the place, tell them they made a real impression on a gardener in CO)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

thanks JamesCO. tell me about the dishsoap on the soil. why? what about alfalfa pellets and or tea?
We have been hauling and hauling in compost. Main drag in Vanc, WA? The only yard w/ palm trees is on Columbia st just blocks up from downtown. I always thought palms trees in WA looked weird.

Denver, CO

Exactly, that's why gardeners with warped senses of humour or novelty love them. Might be the same place. The Japanese reblooming wisteria I do recall for sure. And palms seem even more out of place in Vancouver, Canada!

Dishsoap breaks the surface tension. Use as little as possible with it still working. You should only have to do it once. Warm water seems to penetrate better, but on a large scale, that really isn't on. There are lawn products that do the same. I think "revive" is one. I do not know if they have they same property, but you could try it with a compost tea or alfalfa pellets. A good experiment...

Good for you, you deserve accolades for it. Compost will virtually prevent the problem in future, sounds like a job well-doing.
Kenton

Denver, CO

How is your project, Anastasia?
K

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have hauled compost and hauled compost til I dream about it. We had about 12 yds of excellent compost. Planted shrub roses for a front hedge on Tues pm. Planted stuff around the house foundation and some ground cover w/ more ground cover to plant. I am sanding rust off the ol' cast iron claw feet on a tub we are going to use for an ice chest for the big gig. And my dh had the gall to ask me what we are grilling for dindin on Labor Day?

Denver, CO

Sounds like fun!
Gall indeed. Tisk.

Here is what a friend of mine did with ther tub from the sad fixer-upper house they refurbished.

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

That's a neat idea, I have also seen old claw foot tubs used for small ponds with water plants, fish, etc.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

that tub is so cute. I bet there are lots of old claw foot tubs being used for such fun. I will get a pix of the tub when it is set up. thanks for sharing that pix.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

"I hosta bathe". I like the hosta tub. Nice finish with the fence behind.

Denver, CO

I visited the most delightful little cottage garden (with espaliers) in town. She had some waterlilies in fourty-theives urns on her walkway, and an empty clawed tub in the back of her garden.
I said "A future waterlily garden, too, eh?"
She said "No, I bathe in there."
Steve, I made the trellis on the fence behind that raised bed. It is accomodating a Clematis 'Henryi.'

Early March: some people are so much more creative than I.

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I love to hang out with creative people; I have very little of my own, at least in terms of designing garden spaces.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.