My Mandevilla

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

This is the 1st time I have grown one of these.
I hope I can over-winter it OK indoors.

Nancy

Thumbnail by gabagoo
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Nancy, I cut mine back and bring it indoors each winter, decrease watering until spring and it will send out new shoots. ( Do not withhold water all winter).
Claire

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That's beautiful, I been looking at those. Just didn't want the extra plant in the house over winter. I may have to re think that.

se_eds When you cut it back how far do you go? Just stumps or do you leave some green leaves and how much water and how often. Could I put it in a back room and mostly forget it???

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

My plant is usually about 6 ft. tall when I bring it in. I cut about half of it off. And yes, a back bedroom, where it is cooler - but not freezing - will do well as long as it has light. Usually the leaves dry up and gradually fall off.

The plant has sort of tuberous roots, not unlike a daylily and these store food and mositure for it.
Claire

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks se-eds, I have to get one next year or look for a bargin buy now. My house a passive solar with 20 ft of floor to ceiling glass so I have a lot of room for plants but I have a lot of big house plants and when we start to bring in anything that has to overwinter it just looks like a jungle, covers up my view and makes it hard to care for them. Last year I brought in a Brugmansa it never did very well and then got spider mites and never really recovered. Plus my kids keep bringing me their plants. (Gee mom it's just to big for my house).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.