Another Story.....

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Another Oldie -

We made a quick run into town to rent a floor sander and get supplies to finish the floor once sanded. Bob was coming out of Lowe's with our purchase when he saw a woman walking across the parking lot with a turkey carcass in an aluminum foil roasting pan. He said he knew it was me, before he ever saw my face. He went on to say, if he had been inside and someone had said there goes a woman with a turkey carcass he would have bet good money on it being me. He's really just thankful, I don't go to all the tables asking for their leftovers when we go out to eat. Bless his heart, it took him the longest time to get over being embarrassed by me getting a "doggie bag".

I had spotted some items on sale when we went into the store and while he was checking out I went to investigate. On the way back to meet him, I saw they were closing up the area where they had "deep fried" a turkey and had given out samples, hoping to get people to buy a "Turkey Fryer". I asked the young man, what he was going to do with the carcass and he said throw it away. So I told him to give it to me for my Bullies, I could simmer it in a big pot and make turkey gravy for them. Hence I was walking across the parking lot with the carcass, getting lots of remarks from people as I passed, mostly encouraging, except one elderly man who asked "Did it fill ya up?". To this I replied, "I was awful hungry and there's not much left or I'd offer you some". Everyone around was laughing. Who would have thought you could get so much laughter and interaction with strangers, not to mention gravy, out of an ole turkey carcass!!!!

The "strays that came to stay" smelled that carcass before I even got the van door open, but they had to wait until morning for gravy over their food.

---------------------
Now somebody else tell off on themselves, we need some Sunday afternoon fun.

Judy

PS This is Miss Kitty, she got a good helpin' of the gravy

This message was edited Aug 20, 2006 3:02 PM

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

I just love your stories Judy....and nary a tall tale. lol
Miss Kitty looks fat and happy here. Must have been the gravy.

Carol

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

:-)
See, I'd love to have someone take these things (turkey leftovers and such) off of my hands. :-)
I can't seem to think of any amusing stories, although we all know I've probably been in the middle of my share of embarrassing moments. I will mention that the rain is pouring down by the buckets in my front yard. Unfortunately, my backyard is still sunny. It's done this a few times today. So thick and steamy, I can't hardly see across the street!
Miss Kitty looks content, as all good kitties should look.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

JustDeb,

Are you sure your water hose didn't spring a leak???

Judy

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

ROFLOL
No, no leak. It's in the backyard now. Really weird, freakish rainstorm. Moved real slow and front yard was only on the leading edge. Although, I do like the leaking hose theory. That would have been classic me. :-)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

This probably isn't a "strays that came to stay" thread but the collection IS definitely great for disposing of leftovers.

Years ago, a friend and I had a 2nd hand store. We were hauling stuff in from a moving sale. I opened the back door and waited and Lillie never pulled around. I went to look for her and found her trying to catch a starving, flea bitten white kitten. We caught it and raided the frig, feeding it leftover meatloaf. I bathed it in Ivory dishsoap to kill the fleas and we decided to leave it at the store. We could either have a shop cat or give her away. We finished up and went to leave, she followed us meowing with the most annoying nasal whang. Well, I called home and said I was bringing another one in (but just for the weekend mind you). Yeah right. This is Pearlie. She just celebrated her 5th birthday with us. She is no longer flea bitten, OR starving, but oh that nasal meow! She has peach colored siamese markings with crossed blue eyes. DH says with her crossed eyes, she hates both of him! Fortunately (or maybe not) he has the cat gene too.

Thumbnail by podster
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Pod,

Love that cat and your story of how she came to be!!

Judy

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I love those airplane plants she's getting ready to dive into! She's beautiful. I wish I could see her face.

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

awwww......purty Pealrie kitty. I love rescue stories!

Well the UPS is starting to go off so I need to shut down the puter. So far we've got a whole lot of thunder and not a drop of rain....but at least I now have a good excuse not to mow.

carol

It's really hard to get a picture of her face. Although she is a camera hog, her blue eyes reflect red. Makes her look less than charming.

Thumbnail by podster
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

This story was told to me as truth...I don't know....

A lady in our area went to visit a senior friend and when she got there the friend was crying. She asked what was wrong. The Senior lady said my cat just died and I am not able to bury her. The lady said oh don't cry, I will be glad to take her home and bury her in my flower garden. The Little Senior Lady replaced her tears with a smile.

The ladies finished their visit, then wrapped the kitty in tissue paper and placed her in a shopping bag. The friends hugged and she left. When she got in her hot car she remembered that she needed to stop at the shopping mall for just a few minutes.

When she got to the mall she knew it was to hot to leave Kitty in the car so she took the shopping bag out of the car and set it in the shade just under the side of her car. On her way into the mall she passed another "Lady" walking in the direction of her car. She looked back towards her car just in time to watch as the "Lady" walked by and without missing a step picked up the shopping bag and continued walking. The first nice lady started to follow the thief "Lady" and get the dead cat back. She was too late.

The woman opened the shopping bag, looked inside and fainted. Security called an ambulance who arrived quickly. They put the woman on the stretcher and revived her. Then they sat the shopping bag on the woman’s stretcher and she fainted again. Before the woman could rescue the cat the ambulance took them both away. She was afraid to go to the hospital to rescue the stolen cat.

I don't know if it is true, but it was a funny story

Betty

Justfurkids, I could bore you with rescue stories at this house.

This is as close as it gets to see her blue eyes. That another rescue cat coming down the sidewalk on the left, she's Cisco and only 11 yo now.

Thumbnail by podster
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

What a pretty kitty. I love her eyes.

Betty I love that story. How could it not be true!

Many years ago a local county attorney was in Houston for cardiac surgery. Unfortunately, he died and was being transported back home. The vehicle stopped at a convenience store to make a call and left the 'plain label' suburban running. With the drivers back to the vehicle, someone snatched it. The vehicle was found a few blocks away, still running, with doors open... What a shock. That CA had a great sense of humor and if he was watching from above, he loved it too. He also was an animal rescuer so I know he went to heaven!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Great story Pod...
I don't think I have ever told y'all my story about "Air Conditioner the Chicken" Let me think about it. I have never written it down. Needs to be done least I ferget. LOL That is what my father always said when he started to tell some of his old family stories. LOL

Looking forward to it Betty!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Many years ago DH and I moved with our children to the little farm where I live today. I was a city girl from Nashville and he was a country boy from NC. He taught me the ways of the country and I taught him the ways of the city. I have had a lot of wonderful experiences in the 40 years that I have lived here.

One of my favorites started with a trip to the feed store. They were selling baby chicks. I had never seen baby chicks except for the pink, blue and green ones that you could buy at Easter at every store that you went into. These little chicks were black. So I brought home a box full.

At the time I raised and showed little Shih Tzu dogs. When the chicks grew up they roosted in a tree that had limbs that hung over the kennel where the little dogs went out to exercise. Now you have to picture the little dogs. They were not much bigger than the chickens. Some with the long coat of a show dog. When the chickens would fly out of the tree in the morning once in a while one would miss the fence and land in the kennel. Much barking and squawking would go on before the chicken would hop out of the fence and be on its way.

Well one morning I heard the barking, and I heard the squawking but it didn't quit. I ran out to see what was going on. The dogs had caught this little chicken and plucked it almost clean. No serious damage except for a cut all the way through the skin around the neck from ear to ear, about 6" long. Yes, Chickens do have ears. I picked up the little naked chicken and ran to the house to call DH. The chicken seemed fine, no major damage anyway. DH was out of the office so I sat there trying to decide what a city girl should do.

1. Kill the chicken and have it for dinner, after all it was already plucked. Not an option for me, I had never killed anything.
2. Take the chicken to the Vet and have it stitched up... Not really an option, we had stitches on the horse the week before and it was over $100.00.
3. I am a quilter, Do it myself. That worked for me. LOL

I got out my sewing kit, sat on the back porch and held the chicken between my legs, I leaned its little head over onto my leg and began to sew the head back on the chicken. Well, this was my first patient, I did take little stitches like a good quilter, the only thing I didn't think about was when I turned its head to lay it on my leg I got everything sorta out of alignment. When I set the little chicken on the ground she went walking off, but her head was facing up. I had sewn her back together crooked. LOL

OK back to decision time.
1. Kill the chicken and have it for dinner. Still not an option. But looking better. After all I really couldn't kill her now, She just let me sew her head back on, just crooked.
2. Take her to the Vet and admit what I had done. Not an option, I would never be allowed back. LOL
3. Leave it like it was and hope that she could straighten it out it time. Not an option even though it was not really facing straight up, but it was at such an angle that she would be unable to feed herself or drink water.
4. I am a quilter I have taken out stitches, Fix it.

Well I did, I took out all of the stitches. I stretched her neck as high and as straight as I could and carefully sewed her head back on again. She lived to see another day and a long life on the farm. It took her a while to grow back the feathers thus the name air conditioner. True Story. Who would make that one up? LOL

This message was edited Aug 21, 2006 10:38 AM

Wow! Impress me! What a lucky little Air conditioner!! cute story, Betty :)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh My, I would have completely passed out upon seeing her in the first place and I surely would not have been brave enough to sow it, the first time, much less the second time.

My 1st and 2nd c-sections with Bullies found me leaning up against a wall and you know they were each an emergency. Our vet's brother pass through early, early morning hours and said. Ms Judy you don't look too good. I responded by saying I don't know if I'm going to throw-up or faint first. BUT it wasn't long before I developed a method of reviving the puppies to the point where I lost very few.

Judy

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I know the feeling Judy...I went to the Vet a few weeks later to have dew claws removed on a litter of puppies. I held the puppies for the Vet while he did the surgery. I fainted. He laughed. LOL

I did get to the point that I was able to take care of the newborn puppies during 2 c-sections several years later.

Betty

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh Lordy, What we do when we have to!!!

Judy

I have to admire the strength and determination of the "gentler" sex. Don't know many men that can stomach changing diapers, cleaning up litter boxes, pet ghack, etc.

Loved the chicken story Betty! We know it is true, no one could make that up... and no one can top that! I love stories with a happy ending!!!
pod

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I had to laugh at that story, and the mental image of that chicken walking around forever looking up. Too funny!

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

ROFL wow Betty! Loved the chicken story! Hysterical!
~Carol

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Glad you enjoyed it. Life on a farm can be interesting. This was always one of my childrens favorite stories and one that they still want me to tell their friends. LOL

Betty

Betty, would you mind if I spin your chicken story off into another thread?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Betty - OK so Bob and I had this big discussion... he says the chicken story was just you being funny, but I argued it was for real. Which one of us is right? All my life, people have pulled my leg by telling me some tale and I believed them. Were you just pulling my leg???

Judy

Judy, how long has it been since you had the air changed in your tires? : )

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Gee Pod, I never have, am I suppose to be doing that??? lol lol lol

I take it from that statement the chicken story is just a funny? lol lol

This is the truth .... the woman across the road amputated her dog's leg when it got caught in a trap and was so badly mangled it had to come off. She's got a "field medical kit" with all sorts of instruments in it. She's only got a 10th grade education, but lots of critter experience.

Judy

Judy, I don't know if air conditioner chicken was true. I believe it.
Great neighbor to have. I have always thought a person doesn't get common sense out of an education... : ))

I thought it was for real!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Terry, thanks for posting !! If it turns out she was just telling a funny, I won't feel so bad that I believed it since you do also.

Judy

Well, I might have been voted "most gullible" in high school, so I'm not sure that my believing in it is any sort of stamp of approval! (*chuckle*)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

At least I won't be alone!!!!

Judy

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Well folks it is true. LOL

Somewhere in the darkest closets of my house there is a picture of poor "Air conditioner". I may not be able to find the picture but it really is a true story. LOL

Girl Scout Honor
Betty

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Pod. Sure, have at it.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Betty,

Thank you for the reply.... I was believing!!

Judy

Philadelphia, MS(Zone 7b)

I believed every word and LMHO! I've had to do some strange things around here with rescued critters but haven't had to sew up a chicken yet (I did have to give one a shot - does that count).
My DH says I'll believe anything. He calls me a "fish" As in "reel her in boys - she took the bait!"

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Betty -
I'll never be able to eat chicken again without thinking of this story. LOL
ROFLOL
I have to go find a kleenex...LOL

That sweet little Air Conditioner! I just like her name :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.