Automatic Watering timers...your thoughts

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I had gone away for an extended weekend a few weeks back. Unfortunately, even though I watered well and my neighbor watered too [not really, but she's a wonderful person so I can't complain], my potted plants were shriveled and some of my yard plants were looking very wilty too. I'm checking into Xeriscaping, but alot of the flowers/veggies that I love just don't fall into that category.

Hence, the initiative into alternative methods of keeping my babies happy. I don't want to spend the money on professional irrigation. I found this item on Amazon and have seen it else where with some happy customer comments. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000ALPLF/sr=8-4/qid=1156075184/ref=sr_1_4/002-7655711-6521642?ie=UTF8 . Does anyone else have a small garden and utilize this sort of watering alternative? Let me know.

Thanks,
Anita

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Anita, I recommend you check with the folks at DripWorks in Willits. We bought the raised bed starter kit with a timer. The T-tape and components are much sturdier than what you usually find in a Home Depot/Lowes or other home improvement center. The staff is knowledgeable and they have a variety of products/solutions available. I like that we were able to get "industrial/professional" quality watering systems at a home gardener price. They have a good rating on the Garden Watchdog as well.

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/660/

http://www.dripworksusa.com/

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you - I can compare the products and get some ideas.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have a drip irrigation system and cannot comment on which brand is best. I have an Orbitz and another brand that actually opens and closes multiple valves and a Gilmore which I haven't put in service yet.
But one thing, I you might ask yourself. How many cycles do you need? The more cycles, often the more expensive. Realize the time only controls one water output. Do you really need to turn the water off and on 4 times per day? Most of us don't. It is hard to imagine why you would need that unless you were using it on a seed bed or a bed of cuttings.
Now a timer which can control more than one hose or valve would be, for me, much more useful. The one you show can only contoll one hose. Cheaper models exist, but may not have detachable programming which is quite handy.
Something to consider that I just went through.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I have found that these timers can be set to go off on different days. My thought with having them is more for when I am away. Otherwise, I am more than able and willing to handle the watering myself. The worst part of going away is to return to dead or dying plants.

Anita, I recommend that you write down a "watering plan" for you garden. What I mean by this is, how are you watering your garden now when you are home? Do you have an automated sprinkler system for the yard and then hand water the containers? Do you hand water everything? Do you use soaker hoses or drip systems in some of your landscaping? How often and how long do you currently water each of these areas when you are home? This will give you an idea of what needs to happen while you are away and can help guide you to the best timer features for your needs and budget.

To pajar's point about about a timer only controlling one water output, if you need to water with multiple hoses, you'll need to buy a separate timer for each faucet, or get one of the devices that turns each hose on and off in turn.

If you are only trying to water the container plants while you are away, consider the type and size of the containers. Smaller pots will dry out more quickly on a hot day. Terra cotta will wick moisture. Do you currently water the container plans once a day? more oftern? You may to have the timer water the containers in the early morning then again in the evening if you have hot summers or reflected heat from the hardscaping.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

"To pajar's point about about a timer only controlling one water output, if you need to water with multiple hoses, you'll need to buy a separate timer for each faucet..."

Well, that would be one way, much more expensive than needed though. I'd be more inclined to connect a manifold up to the single water outlet, thereby creating anywhere from 2 to 5 or more water lines that can be controlled from a single timer. A "manifold" can range from a "Y" connection (easily available at local big box stores/garden centers) to a more "professional" unit that may contain 5 to 7 (or more) outlets.

I'm so glad to hear everyone talking of timers for watering. Many are inexpensive and will not only keep your plants alive but will also conserve water. (I'm a miser, ya know!)

Shoe.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good point, Shoe,
If it is okay to run all your hoses at once, a manifold is definitely the way to go. My point was that how often do you need to turn one set of hoses off and on? Most of us don't use more than 2 of the 4 cycles. The more cycles, the more expensive. I think a 1 hose with 1 cycle is sufficient for many people.
I have one lot that can only be watered on Tues., Thurs. and Saturday, and another that can only be watered on Wed., Friday, and Sunday. I have to use 2 timers for that.
Shoe is also right that drip irrigation saves money. I use mine all the time except when we get a really heavy rain. My plants are also much larger than when I do hand watering.
They are great for when you go out of town. They are also great when you are in town.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep! I agree, pajaritomt, many folks will never use more than one cycle at a time. Good point!

Heck, I've gotten to where I use all kinds of timers here. Some are 'spring loaded'...you manually turn them on, set them for X amount of time, and walk away. Others are battery-powered and turn on and off for whatever you set them for and, as you mentioned, pajaritomt, even in my greenhouse those are set to come on only once a day.

The bedding/rooting beds definitely require a more elaborate timer/misting system, and those will come on for x number of seconds and continue for most of the day, cycling on and off (until nearly "dark time").

I just re-read the first post. Anita, for your use you could buy an inexpensive timer (battery powered) that will turn on your water line from one to more times a day at the infamous 'Wally World' for about $20 or so, perhaps $25 tops. For that price you will do good and they are fairly reliable. (The only trouble I've had w/them have been in the g-house where it gets extremely hot and causes the batteries to not work so good...seems to cause them to burn out fast. However, I doubt you would have this problem under your conditions.)

Shoe.

Good points all. Shoe, a manifold will work if you have sufficient water pressure to have all your hoses going at once. When I lived up at Tahoe, we had an elaborate combination of soaker hoses and drip systems. We only have enough water pressure for one soaker hose to operate at a time, so a manifold & timer setup that turned water on to multiple hoses would have resulted in very little watering.

I have a great timer that I bought from DripWorks with my T-Tape drip irrigation system. Unfortunately the garden administrators at our community garden have outlawed "unattended watering". They have this ridiculous notion that if they allow automated timers and unattended watering that the garden would not build community.
HA! All the gardener's I know are social, even the shy introverted ones. We're always comparing growing tips, bragging about the size or flavour of our tomatos, exchanging cuttings & seeds etc etc etc.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone. It is very interesting to hear all your input and conversation. I hadn't thought of using the timers for regular watering of certain items, but I might now. They layout of my yard versus the two spigots that I have would make it difficult on a regular basis, as I would have hoses/tubing all over the place.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone. It is very interesting to hear all your input and conversation. I hadn't thought of using the timers for regular watering of certain items, but I might now. They layout of my yard versus the two spigots that I have would make it difficult on a regular basis, as I would have hoses/tubing all over the place. I actually enjoy the watering myself - lets me check on the babies!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Heheheh, yep Anita, "checking on the babies" also lets you get up close and see/watch how they are growing and helps stave off any potential problems 'cause you'll catch them early. I know all my potted nursery plants get watered much more thorough watering them each by hand vs a sprinkler or other system. (Too many to run drip emitters to each one but it sure would be nice!)

Yes, I agree on the water pressure issue, gardenmermaid. We're on a well here and although we get good pressure I still have to monitor how many hose bibbs are in use and what watering system they are utilising (e.g. overhead sprinkler, soaker hose, watering wand, etc).

Even with an automated watering system, I would still "walk the premises" and visit each plant to ensure that it is growing well and not lacking anything or being attacked by some pest. The automated watering gave me more time to "commune" with the plants, admire them, and squish beetles.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep. Ah yes, squishing beetles....'tis "back breaking" work, but somebody's gotta do it!

:>)

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

gotta love it!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you for sharing...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.