English Ivy Problem

Oneida, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi!!

I have heard that herbicides do not kill english ivy .... is this true??? And if you have ever removed any, how did you accomplish it???? Thanks for any imput!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The stronger brush-killer ones (like the ones made for poison ivy) will kill it I think. Any herbicide will work better on ivy if you spray it on the new young light green leaves--the older darker green ones have a waxy coating on them which helps protect them, but the brush-killer type herbicides are supposed to be able to work through that coating and still kill it. Personally I haven't done much with herbicides on ivy--mine was around a tree and in the middle of a garden bed and I didn't want to risk killing the other things around it, so I pulled it out by hand. It's better if you can dig down and make sure you get all the roots too, but I couldn't do that so I got out as much as I could, put black weed fabric down overtop, and then pulled the random tendrils that would pop through it on occasion. I don't think it will ever be all the way gone, but as long as I pulled pieces as I saw them try to grow again, it wasn't going to get out of control.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Try mixing some of the Spreader-Sticker in with some Brush-B-Gone. I talked about the spreader sticker in another thread.

Oneida, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks!!! I will try it. :))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.