Pepino drop

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hiya,
This is the first year i've grown pepino. The problem is the flower keep dropping off. Has anyone tried this? Living in England i have a short season so i'm running out of time if it doesn't set fruit soon.
The water isn't the problem as it stays moist at all times. And it has plenty of room to grow.

Do they need pollination partners?

Any ideas????

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

I take it this is something other than cucumbers?

Hiya, Yeah this is Solanum muricatum. Its grows very simliar to the tomato being a solanum.
There is very little on the internet about these.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If it's like tomatoes, it may need more heat than you get in order to do well, I know here in CA people living near the coast have trouble growing tomatoes because it doesn't get hot enough for them, but inland a bit they do great. Of course I don't know anything specifically about your part of the UK, I'm just going off my general impression that it doesn't get too hot over there in the summer.

Hi Ecrane,
Thanks for the note. The plants are looking really healthy its just the flowers won't set.
The area i live in has quite a few tomato growers. These are grown under glass.
Also i read somewhere that Pepino will take short cold spells. (it didn't say how cold.)
I'll post a picture ASAP.
Mike

Here is a piccy

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Tomatoes can take short cold spells too, and they can grow and look great and healthy under cool conditions, but if they don't get enough days with enough heat, they won't set much fruit. I'm not familiar with your plant, but just having the ability to survive a few cold spells doesn't mean that it's going to produce fruit well under consistently fairly chilly conditions. If people in your area are only successful with tomatoes if they grow them under glass, you may need to do the same thing with your pepino if you want fruit.

Hiya,
I grow them in the same greenhouse as capsicum, naranjilla's etc. So i know temperature isn't the problem. Tomato's can grow outside here in pots or bags.
I think its something to do with pollination, just recently i've started trying to hand pollinate.

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Hi Mike

Try this info:

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pepino.html

Could have something to do with night time temps....

Yours looks like a very healthy plant!

Lizzy

Hi,
Now night time temps makes sense, Although its not news i wanted to hear!
How did you find that site? I've been searching for weeks.
Think there is no point me trying to grow them my season isnt long enough at that temperature at night.
Thanks again
Mike

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Mike I can't remember how I found it - but DG usually throws out a lot of usefull info!! I'm sorry about your situation and I wish I could take your baby off your hands LOL

did you keep enough seeds back for next year?

Hey thats spooky how did you know i have a baby?

I was hoping for fruit to get next years seeds.

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Oooops - I didn't mean THAT baby!

Anyway = I doubt I could do any better here - it went down to 18 degs on our porch last night!!!

Hehehe. They grow from cuttings realy easy so i might keep taking cuttings in the house over winter and then in spring i can plant them in the green house again. Then just maybe i might have fruit next summer.

If you like tropical fruit what do you think of this picture?

Do you swap seeds Bizzy? I have quite a few if your interested.

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Oh yes, indeed I do Mike!!!!!

I don't know what that plant is but it is quite gorgeous. It looks like a cross between a Brug and a Dat.. Is it edible?

I have only just begun to collect seeds of unusual plants - particularly fruit and veg. We have only been in Spain two years and have taken our time getting to know our garden. Next year I will have lots of things to trade. This year I will have some seeds but smaller quanitites. But I would love to do a trade or two.

Your idea of taking cuttings is a brilliant solution to getting going early in the spring. Pure genius man!!!!

The plant in the picture is a Naranjilla (spelling?) Its a tropical fruit. They are even better in real life. Again no seeds yet but its starting to flower so we will see.
Dmail me and i'll send you my list.

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

It had to be a nightshade. It is very beautiful and I covet your plant.
I have dmailed you.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

http://www.produceoasis.com/Items_folder/Fruits/Pepino.html they are a type of melon i grew theam a few years back i did not care for the taste Regards Paul PS. they like a lot of heat

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

No, really , this is no type of melon but Solanum muricatum, one of the nightshade family.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/articles/Naranjilla-cocona.html

Hi,
yep you are both right but the melon bit is the common name, but both plants are the solanum family.
so technically not a Melon. but in my job all my customers use comon names. Drives me insane! if i have one more person ask me for a japonica i'll hit them with something spikey!

deep breaths... deep breaths

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

or broad and heavy! ;)

I save my heavy breathing for making dirty phone calls! heheh

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i dont think you will like the taste mike. heyMike got any japonica LOL

I would do my heavy breathing but i can't remmember the code for spain! hehhehe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.