Aluminet shade cloth is winter

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I was wondering about your thought of leaving the aluminet shade cloth on the greenhouse in winter. Do you think it helps hold the heat or does in make it colder. This is a rion 8.5X16.5. Our low temp is in the 30s. We do get a rare frost.
Just trying to figure this out.
Thanks Linda

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I would not leave it on. Shade produces legginess in plants and decreases growth, and makes a weaker plant once it is put outside.

Fulton, MO

Ditto. You need all the photons you can get inside the greenhouse.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

In general I would agree, but it might be helpful to have it handy and throw it on during the day when we have some of our warmer winter days. If you have good ventilation then you may not need it, but if you have one of those days where it gets to 70ish during the day and it's sunny, you may want a little shade. But I wouldn't leave it on all the time, I would only use it on those occasional days when it was getting too warm if the greenhouse ventilation wasn't enough to keep the temp where you wanted it.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the input. I have been going back and forth on this for a while. Somewhere I read the aluminet would hold the heat. I think you are right though. The sun is more important.
Also I could not understand how the aluminet shade cloth would hold in the heat.
Thanks Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.