Canna with darkest foliage?

Berlin, Germany(Zone 7a)

I would like to add a new canna in my collection. Especially the one with dark foliage. I've been went through the Internet and found some of the images. Such as from Canna Montaigne, Canna Tropicanna Black and Canna Australia. I wonder are they same, because they look a like. Moreover which has the darkest foliage?

Thanks for your help.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Strang ich denke das Canna Australien, hat die Dunkelsten Blätter. Hows Berlin? war das dort in diesem Sommer heiß? Rücksichten Paul

Berlin, Germany(Zone 7a)

Danke Paul! Im Juli war 38C und August ist 15C. Typisch Berlins Wetter!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Tropicanna Black is new to me, but it doesn't look to be as dark as Australia.

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/page19.html

Nothing could beat the satiny, thick textured, near black of this one. We have had a very hot summer with temperatures often high 20'sC, sometimes over 30C. The colour hasn't faded, nor have the leaves burned, they just keep looking good.

hankeat, which other cannas do you have?

My own plant, gratefully received in a trade.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ooh I love your Australia!! If I was to plant that here though, people would be getting wrecks trying to look at it! LOL.

Easy fixed, start up a breakers yard!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I just might!! LOL

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

this is a pic of my 2 ausies one dark one green

Thumbnail by phicks

A green Canna Australia, I don't think it can be. Are these the ones you grew from seed?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

yup and others i know who bought ryzomes have the same thing some come up black the others green or mixed

Louisville, KY

I have never seen a australis set seed. I do think it is possible but very unlikely. I have tried around 100 times to get seed with no luck. I believe it is almost totally sterile like many of the other forms like tropicanna bengal tiger and other large blooming mules. It would be interesting to see what come of it but I think you might have gotten seeds from another plant?? Did you pick the seeds off of australis yourself?? If so this would be new to me. Good luck!

Berlin, Germany(Zone 7a)

Hi wallaby1,

I've only Tropicanna, it's my first canna. Next year I'll buy Canna 'Bengal Tiger'. In Germany they name it Canna Panaché or Canna Goldader. I wonder they're the same or three different types. The plant market in Germany is conservative. I hardly find new hyrid, even I look for them online. Moreover the name is confusing. I'm really admiring you, who lives in UK. I can't find Canna Australia in Germany. Nobody sells it there. I'm still considering to order it from UK or France (I've to learn French first), but it's really expensive to do so.

I read it from other websites too, that Canna Asutralia and Tropicanna don't set seeds.

Hi hankeat,

I did manage to get a bare-root rhizome last year from Urban Jungle of Canna Australia, but the spring was so cold it rotted. I should have brought it inside, but normally that is not necessary. I can normally overwinter mine in a cold greenhouse in their pots, but last winter was colder than usual, and lasted longer than usual. I lost many of my other cannas.

www.junglegardens.co.uk here also have them growing in pots, this year they were a little cheaper than last year, but the carriage here makes them quite expensive. Last year they cost £30 for the plant!

Canna Australia is a little more cold sensitve, so I will have to find yet another place for that inside this winter, I have two so perhaps I can try to lift one and store dry, but I feel they are best left in their pots. Whatever I do, they are definitely worth the extra care!

I also had Tropicanna, bought as Durban, and it was beautiful. It seems to be prone to virus, and eventually weakens, I also lost that last winter. I did get a small rhizome from ebay, it is growing slowly but I think it could be virused. Some are more prone to the dreaded virus.

I have just looked at my C Australia, the bottom is buried by other plants, but I see there are 5 new growths between them. It should be OK to separate them now, I did it with Canna altensteinii and they were just making roots. I can let you know how I get on with them when I do it, if I have one that looks like it will travel I could trade it with you for something else. They are at least 12" tall and growing quickly, it is a good time for them to establish but should be kept in a warm place over winter.

Berlin, Germany(Zone 7a)

Hi Wallaby1,

Thanks for your offer. Since I start gardening, my plants-mania has been changing yearly, from 1st year rare aloes & succulents (all grew from seeds), to 2nd year fancy leaves pelargonium (all died in the following winter), 3rd year Peonies and now cannas.

Now my terrace (cellar in winter) and apartment are overcrowded. It's the time to start trading. My plants grow very well. (Except those fancy leaves pelargonium). I think I should top buying new plants, because we're really out of peace. But only after my next purchase - a christmas rose, plumbago and canna. :-)

This coming winter is the first time for my canna and dhalia. I think as other Pelargonium. I'll store all of them in soil in cellar. (except dahlia)

Just keep in touch, wallaby1.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

canna 'Australia' and canna 'Futurity Red'

hankeat, I missed my opportunity today to do anything, the rain came in just as I was about to start!

I did the same with manias, satisfy one to a point and move on to the next! I am now a multi-mania-ed person! We can only cope with so much, but it is fun to try new things.

Berlin, Germany(Zone 7a)

Hi wallaby1, it's good to know. At least I know that I'm still 'normal'. :-)

Apple Valley, MN(Zone 4a)

This is a new canna to my yard - 'Constitution' - just started blooming.

This is the darkest foliage that I have grown.

Jeannine

Thumbnail by jachurch

'Constitution' again - the flower close-up. Looks like it will continue to bloom for quite some time.

Here in Minnesota, we have to dig the bulbs and store them over winter where they don't freeze.

Thumbnail by jachurch
Louisville, KY

I have a tons of dark leaf cannas I have not really put the leaves together to see which was darkest some are maroon others are purple in color. A few seem to almost be black. When fall comes I will take the leaves off and lay them out for a large photo of all of them.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

bwilliams, that is an eye-popping hot pink flower on that dark-leafed canna!

Would you mind sharing the name?

Jeannine

Louisville, KY

It is a new hybrid I have not yet named it I have three like this I am fighting with myself which one to release and name. One grows about 6 feet tall this one around 3 to 4 feet tall the other also 3 to 4 feet tall. All of them look very similar and I do not want to release identical looking plants. I may release two of them the taller form and this form. I have series I am putting them in but so far I have so many odd and interesting forms I am basically swamped. I have worked all year on building up stock to release canna romance and a handful of other last year and the year before hybrids.

Here is another similar seedling. Their is no photo shop on these photos they are really this bright. I have to say that seedling seem to be much brighter than others. Some of the plants people have been growing are 50 to 100 years old and have been cut thousands of times it seems some of the bright colors seem to faid compared to new seedlings?

Thumbnail by bwilliams

bwilliams, those plants look well worth the effort and I will watch for their release!

Jeannine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.