Ok suggestions anyone?

Dundee, IL

I'm going to build myself a few terrariums and am starting from scratch. Sources for containers, plants, designs, ideas are greatly appreciated. Also, let's get some pictures posted guys! This forum needs a little caffine!

Loveland, OH

Hi, don't know if you're interested but adding some miniature, terrestrial orchids would be lovely. Containers? I had one made by a guy- pricey but cute. It's a little townehouse. A while back I was in a Michaels craft store that had a lot of jars that would work.
Devy

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

I was at Hobby Lobby looking for small glass jars that would work and the closest I found were "fish bowls" in the floral dept. For me they were ok, though not closed.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Great post, I recently pulled an old round hand blown jar out of my attic. It’s about 12 inches round (12 inches high and wide). I used it in the 70’s when we did sand paintings in the bottom and plants on the top. I’m pretty rusty when it comes to terrarium plants and the local nursery didn’t have a lot. I’ve been remembering that an old neighbor of mine made what she called winter jars. They were small goldfish bowls with a cut glass lid. Mostly they had moss in them and a few other things. I remember something with red berries. I think she probably gathered most of what she had in them from the woods. Anyone know what I’m talking about? What about those Orchids? I could do a jar with Orchids? Holly

(Zone 1)

Holly: Hope you can post a photo of your old hand blown jar when you get it planted! I think it would make a great terrarium type planter. I have a large glass Water bottle (like they deliver water for the dispensers) from the 70's that I had a hole cut in the top back and use it as a terrarium. I also have a glass cookie jar (Wal-Mart) with glass lid that I planted. And, I also use glass flower vases to for plants ..... I'm known to put a plant in just about any container laying around if I'm out of plastic or terra cotta pots! Here's a photo of my large jar .... kinda dark so it's a little hard to see.

Lin

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

Here's some of the glass vases that have been planted for quite awhile.

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Hi plantladylin - I'm interested in getting some terrariums going this winter. My kids gave me a wardian case for Christmas last year and I have enjoyed ferns and orchids in it. They are in their individual pots with stones in the bottom. I add water to the stones to keep the humidity up. I'm interested in finding out what you put in the bottom of your terrariums. I have a fish tank that I rescued from my son's trash -- I was going to try to do something in it. It doesn't have a top on it. Do you think it will work? Should I get some kind of top? I'm guessing it depends on what I put in it. I'm more the ferns, orchids, africian violets, foliage type rather than cactus or succulents. I always tend to kill them quickly.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

(Zone 1)

Hi Nutmegnana: Hopefully one of the experts here at DG can give you more sage advise than I can but I think a fish tank makes a perfect terrarium .... I'm asking Santa for one for Christmas! I want one with a top and lights, so I can put African Violets and things like that in it .... they would appreciate the high light. I have a lot of open glass containers with just regular ole' house plants in them. I have heard some folks have some kinds of orchids in their terrariums, but I wouldn't have the slightest idea which kind to use!

I put gravel, the small pea gravel as the first layer in my terrarium, then the soil. I have used spagnum as a layer between gravel and soil at times to keep the soil from washing down into the gravel, but I also have just done the pebbles, then the soil and stick the plants in there! Here's a website that I found helpful for Terrariums:

Lin

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/terrarium.html

(Zone 1)

Here's the link at the same site for Dish Gardens:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/dish~gardens.html

Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for your help. Both links give good info. I'll be getting into terrariums as soon as I get thru the holidays!

(Zone 1)

Post your photo's after you get them all set up! They are real easy to plant up and easy to take care of too, especially if they have a lid .... make their own moisture!

Lin

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Lin, Sorry I didn't get back to you. I really like the look of your water jug and vases. I was hoping to get a picture of my glass ball I think you'll like it. I haven't gotten a chance to get a picture but was thinking of filling it with something for Christmas. Maybe just old Christmas balls and then after the holidays I could get the terrarium together. Thanks for the web site very informative. It's been years since I had one. This old glass ball of mine was used in the 70's as a terrarium and has been sitting in my attic for a very, very long time. Thanks for all the info and when I get it all together I let you know. Holly

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Lin, I finally got around to the Greenhouse and brought a few things home. Do you plant AV in your Terrariums?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

HollyAnn....what is that beautiful plant second from the left on the front row?? I love colors....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

All the tag said was Joseph's Coat. It's not very big but I'm not sure how long it will stay that way. It's just so pretty

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks and I do know what this is.....good luck with all your new pretty plants....such fun!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

All planted, I've had this jar since the 70's. It's been sitting up in the Attic for a very long time. It's a little over 12 inches high.

(Zone 1)

Holly: You forgot to post the photo of the jar all planted! I love Joseph's Coat, but people plant it outside here. Can it grow as a houseplant? I think the color gets more vivid if it gets a lot of sunlight!

I have never planted an AV in a terrarium. I wonder if the humidity build up would cause them to rot? I think I'm better off leaving mine out in the air. Most of the time I don't think about taking the lid off my enclosed jars, or opening them for air circulation.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh silly me, here is the picture. I've never put AV in a Terrarium before but I thought I saw them in some pictures some one posted. I thought it might have been you, that was why I asked. If they don't do well I'll pull them out. They had a couple of these tiny Joseph Coats not sure how they will do or how long I will keep them in the Terrarium. My dad has a plant called a Joseph Coat in his pond.I didn't think that the leaves of his plant were shaped the same as this one althought the colors look similar. Who knows it might end up outside later. I can just see me in a month tearing this whole thing apart and moving all the plants around.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
(Zone 1)

Holly: That is really Beautiful! I love that glass jar and the plants look perfect in there! GOOD JOB!

Lin

(Zone 1)

This might be the plant your Dad has in his pond:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/89594/index.html

(Zone 1)

Here's another one:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/872/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.