Dark leaf Canna Musafolia New sport

Louisville, KY

I was visiting my mothers today and she has been growing a large clump of Canna Musafolia for a few years. This year I noticed something very different in the clump. A dark leaf sport has shown up right in the middle of the whole clump. I plan to remove after it has flowered and grow it out seperately. It will be nice to have a new form of this very well known variety of canna with its large leaves. It look identical to the rest of the plant besides its leaf coloring.

Here are some photos of it. Was easy to spot once I noticed it.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Here is a view of just its leaves

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

This clumps around 10 to 12 feet tall and their is the dark one right in the middle.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Wow! Those sure are beautiful and healthy. I don't think I have seen a picture of this type in such a large clump. Those would be perfect to shield the ugly metal building my neighbor put in behind me. You are going to have fun getting to that one and separating it out! LOL

Tammie

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

That's very nice Brian, thanks for showing us! I hope it's stable.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Your mom? This stuff comes natural to you then! Great looking stand 12ft! How cool is that? You're over at the greenhouse experimenting and your Mom just happens to come up with something very cool! ?!*! My little musa is about 14 inches tall, been planted since May... IF that's what B&B sent me. (darn thing)... I'll be shopping at your greenhouse for canna's next year! Thanks for sharing that, Brian!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Maybe I'll just go visit your Mom! ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.