Rain Protection for Petunias

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

I was wondering if anyone could give a very novice "gardener" some advice on how to best protect my petunias during heavy rains. This is the first year I've been what I would call "successful" with them, and I'm so enchanted with them that it's heartbreaking for me when I see them after a hard rain. I find that the variety I have seems to take regular soaking rains pretty well, but it's the harder rains that shred them to tatters.

Are there any hints or tips I should know about? I have mine growing in two large urns near my front door, so moving them reallly is not an option. My guess is that overall the urn plantings are 2.5 to 3 feet wide, and about 4 feet tall including the spike. I've attached a picture, though it's a few weeks old at this point...

Any help is appreciated--thank you! :D

Thumbnail by Niere
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

They look great!! I wouldn't try to protect them at all. If, after the rain, the blooms are spent and ugly, you could take them off, and you will have new ones real soon.

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Thanks tigerlily123--I appreciate the feedback! They usually only require about two or three days to recouperate, but I still just hate going out to see them after a rough storm and seeing them all bedraggled. I've even tried thinking of some sort of lightweight screened cage that I could weigh down, but I'm not sure even about that. I've even considered beach umbrellas :D but I'm not sure how I would anchor them so they wouldn't blow away.

I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with something yet for this--if I ever come up with "The Petunia Protector" I'm going straight to Ronco ;) and I'll be off to make my millions. :D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.