what to do this fall and next spring

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

okay so you guys know its hot and dry. My plants baked to death. My children and I would like to make a fragrant and flying animal friendly garden. Can any one give me some suggestions. thank you so very much.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Carol, You are a zone higher than me. Not sure if you're into annuals, or what but, I have brugmansia in pots good smell in the evenings when they bloom, morning glories, hibiscus- hardy and tropical, I also get a lot of hummers at my hyacinth vines. You do have to provide water when we get into these "dog-days" of summer, sometimes, that's easier said than done. I'm not that into fragrant, but it's a bonus if I like something that is fragrant... Sounds like you want to attract butterflies and hummers... DG does have a Fragrant Garden forum, might nose around there and see what you can come up with... I figure if I get blooms, the flying critters will come. . . nice to meet a fellow Kansan-B

Hi
This has been my first full year gardening. I have all kinds of butterflies and hummingbirds in my yard - St. Louis. What has worked well for me is :

Purple butterfly bushes, white butterfly bushes -found them at an end of season sale last year for 4.00 each. They have done wonderful. The butterflies and hummers love them.

Canna's - have planted a bunch of these, all different colors and sizes. The hummers are in love with them.
They can really take the heat.

Fushia - hummer's adore them, I keep them in partial shade and water well.

Trumpet vine - lots of vine, no flowers yet, but I believe it blooms later in the season.

Black Eyed Susan - definately a no care plant and they came back triple this year.

Brugmansia - planted lots of these. Doing well, but they need so much water - almost too much work for me and bugs love them. Won't plant as many of these next year.

I water all the time, gives me a chance to notice subtle changes in my yard.
Have decided that I hate roses. I planted probably 60 bushes and almost all died early.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
Fushia - hummer's adore them, I keep them in partial shade and water well.

I never had good luck with Fushia. =( It's a shame, too, because they're really interesting flowers.

Quoting:
Have decided that I hate roses. I planted probably 60 bushes and almost all died early.

Heh. I, too, hate roses. They're such sissy plants, until you want them gone. Then they're next to impossible to kill. Although, 60 plants is a lot. Even if it was roses, that's a shame. Did they show signs of disease? Perhaps they should be replaced by whomever you bought them from?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.