Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

my tomato buddy

Thumbnail by tiffanya
Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

sweet lil' bee

Thumbnail by tiffanya
Marysville, WA

TIFFANYA,
WOW, GREAT close up shots. Now all they need is a happy little tree, lol.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Tiff - looks like the frogger on the tomato is standing guard - I really enjoy those little guys.
I am taking my computer in to be fixed this week - I have a digital camera from last Christmas that I would like to use, but my computer keeps giving me a "not enough space" message, so it won't take the software. I have missed loads of pics this year, but fortunately, others have obliged with sharing theirs. So, thanks much for sharing! K

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

tiffanya,

Wonderful picutres! You are lucky to have such cute garden pals! I love frogs but have none as I live in town. I've brought in tadpoles and frogs/toads a few times but between the racoons, possums, & neighborhood cats, I've only been able to keep them alive for a couple of years before they mysteriously disappear. Or maybe it's something I said.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Well, I can't exactly claim this gal as my buddy, but anything that helps keep the wasp population down is welcome.

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Creepy, katy!! That makes me shiver all over!!!
LOL!

Oh, I love the little frogs. We have a city-owned retention pond that backs up to our place so we have lots of little frogs. It is interesting to see where they go. They are all over the garden, of course. They also like to sneak into the shed, drain pipes, etc. And I recently found one, dried and shriveled like a little froggy mummy, in my hose's spray nozzle. . Poor guy must have gotten in there prior to us attaching it to the hose; I think he starved to death. Springtime is really spectacular -- if you're in the veggie garden, which is just over the fence from the pond, their group singing easily reaches 110dB so you have to speak/should really loud to be heard over them.

re: "all they need is a happy little tree". That is SO true. They treat the sunflowers like trees and sit in them. We still haven't invested in trees yet. That was planned for this fall, but with the advent of working on our start-up business, we may need to postpone the "tree fund" until next year.

LOL Herpst -- what have you been saying to offend the frogs?!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Ribbit, ribbit. Perhaps it looses something in translation. Perhaps, like Chinese, the inflection changes the whole meaning. I'm perplexed.

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Herpst, here's some important info for talking to your frogs....

If an ordinary frog says "Ribbit".

A long-eared frog says "Rabbit".

A steelworker frog says "Rivet".

A mechanical frog says "Robot".

A bandit frog says "Rob It".

A genie frog says "Rub It".

hehe!! ~ groan~

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL, tiffanya!

I would definitely claim that gal as your buddy, KatyMac! This is a buddy I have living in my Heliotrope. I really like her because she kills wasps and such too.

Thumbnail by mgh

Yikes mgh! That photo makes her look awfully big. Now I have the shivers.

LOL, Katy! She's really not that big. Maybe an inch including her legs. Heliotrope flowers are pretty small.

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

now that's a pretty spider

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

tiffanya,

LOL! Thank you so much for the frog lingusitic lesson. I'll try to be more careful if I ever get any more of the little darlings to live in my yard. So, what business are you starting? Mgh - lovely eight legged friend you have there!

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Herpst, the business is a specialty beer shop called "99 Bottles". We'll sell microbrews, imports, and domestic beers by-the-bottle, 6-pack, or case. Also offer kegs-to-go and sell beer merchandise (t-shirts, hats, glassware, etc.) and non-perishable locally made foodstuffs that go with beer like BBQ spices/rubs and dip mixes. Special events will include in-store beer tastings.

We've been talking about it for five years now and after surveying the landscape -- personally and marketplace -- decided that we would finally put our dreams into action. Been researching like crazy this year, got the state and federal IDs and licenses last week, and sent the business plan to the commercial broker yesterday, and contracted a logo designer today. Wowzers!! It is so exciting to see this creature develop. Cross your fingers for us that everything falls into place. I'll be sure to let everyone know when it's up and running -- so you can stop in and say "hi!" We're hoping for a late 2006 opening if everything goes smoothly-- from getting a location to obtaining the liquor license for retail sales. Oh I'm so anxious and excited!! :-D

This message was edited Aug 17, 2006 5:16 PM

Good luck tiffanya!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Tiff,

How exciting! Please do let us all know. I have a friend (really) who is a beer fanatic & this sounds like a great place to take her shopping!

Wow, that sounds very cool, Tiffany! Congratulations and good luck!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Where is Julie Andrews when you need her?

Do, the stuff that buys my beer.
Re, the guy who gets my beer.
Mi, the one who drinks the beer.
Fa, a long way to get beer.
Sol, I'll have another beer.
La, la, la, la, la, la, la.
Ti, No thanks, I'm drinkin' beer.
So lets have another beer, beer, beer, beer.

Marysville, WA

TIFFANYA,
Well, I have some SPICY food additive/bbq ribs you might be interested in!! GREAT job, you musta worked SOOO HARD!! Hope it is VERY VERY succcessful for you!!!

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL herpst! Great song!!

And thanks for all the well wishes, ski, herpst, mgh, katy! I'll be sure to let you all know how it is progressing over the next weeks and months.

In the meantime, we're accepting sign-ups for folks and collecting beer "wants" -- visit www.99bottles.net.

tif :-)

That's a rose spider, my favorites! Definitely friends, not foe. Here's one I took last year when I had a decent camera.
I wish I had frogs. I think they don't like my yard, and yet I know someone who lives fairly close by who has them in her yard. I've tried to introduce them with no success. Maybe it's something Herpst said.

Tiffanya, that sounds like a cool business! I love microbrew, so I'll be stopping by! I wish you the best of business luck!

Thumbnail by

Cool pic, Pixy! I haven't heard it called a rose spider. Looked it up and it said it was a Goldenrod Crab Spider. Is rose spider just a nickname?

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

What a great pic, pixy! I've never seen one "in action" like that.

It is a crab spider. Rose spider is just another name for it, sort of like flowers have different names when you don't use the latin. I think these are the prettiest spiders!

I like the name rose spider better than crab spider. :o) I think they're very pretty too. I once saw one with pink stripes down it's side. I read about them on a website....it said they can change colors....pretty cool.

Ooh! I didn't know they could change colors! I thought they always just got onto flowers that they would blend into!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Nice photos you guys. I like the little greenish crab spiders too. I figure they do no harm and likely help eat things I don't want here.

Love the frog. I had a little tree frog last year perched on the dahlia stakes or certain dahlias. Good bug eaters! If you keep a flat dish of water out and some shade for them, they seem happy.

Tiffany your business sounds great! Post where it ends up location-wise and I'll pass word onto my husband's office. They'll keep you in business for at least one or two company picnics/parties a year. Sounds exciting indeed.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Pooch - you've got yourself a real fine Dahlia watchdog! I've only found them in my roses, or hanging out (literally) in my grasses. How large of a "pond" do you make for them? Would a birdbath work?
I hear them everynight, but I don't get to see them as often as I like...Maybe my snakes are eating the young ones...

AAAh, he is so cute!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's a clearer shot of him. Same frog ( as far as I know) hung out in a little territory of 3 dahlias all summer.

We have a nearby overflowing water supply/cistern so there are soggy puddles close by for them. I hear them in the trees by the water tank all the time. There is also a creek about 200 ft away. In the garden I just put down a little 4 inch plant pot saucer and keep water in it. Never saw one in a bird bath, but one on ground level might be tempting on a hot day (for man and amphibian alike!)

Thumbnail by Poochella
Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

What a cutie!!

I'm green with envy!

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Another friend (this one likes the shed!)...

Thumbnail by tiffanya
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Great shot Tiffany! His little sticky feet look like those gel-type frogs you could buy some years back whose tongues you could whap on something a few feet away- it'd stick, and retrieve the whapped object. ( A really amusing toy for young and middle aged alike LOL)

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

today's buddy:

Thumbnail by tiffanya

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.