How late can you pinch back mums

Lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I have common store variety mums and have pinched them off a few times already but I was wondering how much longer should it pinch them back and not jepardize blooms?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I have some common mums too, have had them for a few years. I cut them back by 1/2 first week of june then by 1/3 first week of July. They seem to be happy with this routine, they branch beautifully and never get floppy (or try to bloom mid summer like they used to, lol).

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I read a long time ago to stop pinching by July 4th. Easy date to remember. Poppysue, I like your plan better, it doesn't put me out there pinching every week:)

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

The one mum I have, I have pinched back three times now and it still has decided to bloom this week so i'll cut it back after it blooms and hope it will rebloom this fall.

I cut it back in half the first week in june and then again the last week of june and then again on july 14,but the crazy thing is blooming now.

Mike

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I cut mine back for the last time about two weeks ago. I snip the buds off the cuttings and stick them in the ground and almost all of them root. Both the cuttings and the plants are starting to bloom. I continue to deadhead until the snow hits and they keep blooming. Good luck.
Michele

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 9:44 AM

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I have mine for about 4-5 years. The first year they bloomed in spring as they were blooming when I purchased them. The next year I pinched them back and they bloomed in the fall. Since then they bloom in the fall and I never pinch them back. I do have a few that blooms in summer. Have just started. Jim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.