FLOWER VISITOR

Marysville, WA

Found this little guy/gal (and yes, I DID ASK, and they had NO objection to being called "gal") visiting my squash flower.

Thumbnail by skidivur
Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

why, is "gal" considered non-pc?
Well, if that is true, then all the more reason to hang out in the garden...
I'll have to ask my MIL - she's very much so, and on her way up for a very pc visit. yay.

Marysville, WA

KATYE,
At this point, ya gotta cover all your bases.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

or all your beeses?

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

One thing is for certain: someone will demand that you cover something, so as not to offend.
I was told a long time ago that gal stands for "gorgeous and loving". I agreed - it's a wonderful definition. I won't elaborate on what guy stands for. It's quite nice, but you will need to use your imagination.
We seem to be covering all our bases way too much these days...And - please, cover the beeses!
Speaking of which - why are so many of them passing? I have noticed this more the past 5 years or so. I know the Varoa mite is a problem for the native bees, but all the different types seem to be declining. Do I have to become a BeeFarmer, too? NO TIME!

Sammamish, WA(Zone 8a)

Might just be that I'm growing more things they like and I'm out more to notice, but I'm seeing more bees this summer than I have before, and of several different types as well. I'll tell them you miss them and want them to visit you, but I'm not a beekeeper so I don't know if they will listen. I don't need to add hive care to my life right now either, but I should at least encourage Mason bees. No honey, but I hear they are easy to foster.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I have Mason bee houses - they are prolific! It's not that I don't have enough bees. Rather, they seem to be dyingtoo early in the season. I've lots of the big black fuzzy type. Honeybees seem to be doing well. But please tell them to head down my way!

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I've never seen as many bumblebees as I have this year. There must be a nest close by. I love to watch them and they just go about their business, not threatening at all.

Marysville, WA

KATYMAC,
Thats "and they just go about their BEESness, lol

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I stand corrected ski. Busy beesness too!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Beefore this goes too far, I must remind you to watch your Bees and Q's. Not that I'm trying to Beerate anyone.
Have a beeutiful day!

Marysville, WA

HERPST,
Somehow I knew this would not be beeneath you. Beesides, you ARE the poet here. I beelieve this post beeats yours, beecause I have MORE time on my hands to engage in this monkey beesness. And PIXYDISH says YOU are the competitive one alway trying to beee better than me at everything.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

I bow to your awesomeness! Hear that Pixy?

Bothell, WA(Zone 7a)

You guys are sooooo silly!! Great that you have so much fun. I have also noticed an unusual amount of Bumble Bees and not so many honey bees in my yard. I like the Bumble Bees and they are not a problem but do wonder where the honey bees have gone. Is there any specific plants that a honey bee prefers, I wonder? Donna

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

donna - I know they really like lavender, russian sage & sedums. I too have skads of Bumbles, but fewer Honey Bees. I have Mason Bees, too, but their work was done back in spring. Varoa mite is supposed to have affected the honey bees.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.