Garden Conservancy's Open Day's coming to Raleigh

Raleigh, NC

Is any one familiar with the Garden Conservancy's Open Days program coming to Raleigh?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I've never hear of it. When is it coming?

Jesse

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Is it at the arboretum? I have never heard of it. What is it?

Lavina

Raleigh, NC

It is the Garden Conservancy's Open Days program. The Garden Conservancy is non-profit organization for the preservation of exceptional private gardens. North Carolina has two gardens under their care, The Elizabeth Lawerance Garden and Montrose. The GC also allows benefits to be shared with another non-profit and the regional representative, Helen Yoest has joined with the JCRA to share in these benefits. So, yes it will be apart of the arboretums 30th celebration and is being held in conjuction with their symposium. There are 6 gardens open, Saturday September 23th from 11 - 4 and Sunday September 24th from 1 - 4. Discount tickets can be purchased at JCRA 6 for $25 or you can just go to one garden, $5 per garden. There is link at www.gardensgardens.com. Also, if you are a member of the JCRA, there is information about it in this months news letter. Or to get more information, you can call Autumn Keck at the arboretum. There was also an article in the N & O about it. Look under Lifestyles section, Home and Garden and search C Stein, the author.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Oh now I remember what it is,they do it every year. Sorry I had forgotten about it.

Lavina

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I've been to Montrose and it is lovely but the amazing part is that the owner does almost all the work with just a staff of two helpers. All her Hellebores are hand groomed, divided and cross bred to create new varieties. You have to see how many she has to appreciate this. She has many unusual and rare plants. Go see the place if you can.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm wondering if there are two "Montrose" places. Is there one in Raleigh?

The Garden Conservancy's Open Day's mention places that seem to be in the Raleigh area. The Montrose I know of is here in our town, Hillsborough. (And yes, it's a beautiful place, Ardesia! I go there every week to visit the owner, a great friend of mine.) (And by the way, putting in a plug here for her most recent book, "Montrose: Life in a Garden". Beautiful drawings by another local resident and excellent writing by Nancy Goodwin, the author.)

I'll ask Nancy when I see her on Wednesday if her place is included in the Open Day tour.

Shoe.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

There could not be two Montroses!
You have a wonderful friend in Nancy. I only met her once but she was such a charming and knowledgeable person. I was hanging on her every word.

Raleigh, NC

Actually, I only mentioned Montrose with the Open Days tour because the Garden Conservancy is a National program which helps perserves private gardens. One of the main fund raisers for the Garden Conservancy is the Open Days Program. Raleigh is hosting an Open Days in September. They are sharing their proceeds with the JCRA, but also wanted to mention that the proceeds also benefit NC because the Garden Conservancy has 2 projects in NC, the Elizabeth Lawerence Garden in Charlotte and is prepared to help Nancy with Montrose when the time is right.

In short, Raleigh is hosting a garden tour that will benefit the Garden Conservancy Nationally, benefit our NC through 2 projects, and locally through the JCRA. I have driven by all 6 and am very excited about going. Two of the the gardens have been on tours before, but the other 4 have not and they look wonderfu.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

ardesia, I agree...You got to meet a very wonderful person when you met Nancy. She's one of my heroes! (Or should I say heroine?)

cacahuete, thanks for the info regarding the JCRA. Isn't it great that these wonderful gardens are getting acknowledged?

Shoe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.