Do you think my Clematis died??

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Hello everyone,

I planted a small clematis (Arctic Queen) about six weeks ago. It was maybe about 4 inches high when I planted it but had a very healthy-looking root system. Since then it has gotten a nice amount of sun and regular water--although it did dry out a bit during a heat wave we recently had (I was away from home and couldn't water). Since that time, it hasn't grown much at all. Even more concerning is the fact that the leaves have drooped and some are dried up and brown. The main stem looks brown too. Is it dead? Should I just leave it in the ground anyway and see what happens next Spring?

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks so much!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

The heat does that to our Clematis, too. It may just be going dormant - don't do anything - it will most likely start growing again when the weather cools a bit.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I would leave it. I had one I thought I had completely killed and out of no where it came up this spring and even flowered until the dog got it. I am now waiting to see if it will come back again.

Philadelphia, MS(Zone 7b)

My clematis goes brown (starting at the bottom and works up) in the heat every year. I've been leaving it on the arbor, just to see, cut it back in winter and it comes up like gang-busters in the Spring. My friend in Dekalb, MS had one that did the same thing. She went ahead and cut it back almost to the ground a few weeks ago. It has come back and is blooming again!

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone!!! I'll leave it where it is, keep watering it as usual, and hopefully I'll see some signs of life again. I was really looking forward to seeing this one grow and bloom. So I'm happy to hear all is not lost yet. : )

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I agree w/ Kayjones--plant has probably gone into dormancy due to heat stress, but lighten up a little bit on the water. If dormant, doesn't need as much watering.

A couple of years ago I bought some c. Jackmanii and they disappeared so quickly, I was sured the TX heat killed them. But they come back and better this time. I think clematis are trying to tell us they grow on their own terms, lol

Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes clematis due have a mind of their own they will grow when they want to. Leave it. It most likely will come back beautifuly.

1 suggestion though. Plant something small infront of it to shade the lower stem of the plant. Not to big to shade alot though just enough for the lower stems maybe 6" or so. I planted snapdragons in front of my new babies this year and they are doing wonderfuly. Initially wild flowers that got 3-4' tall were in front of them and they were not doing so well. I jerked out all the wild flowers and moved them somewhere else. Now the babies are growing and giving me blooms already.

Beck

Thumbnail by rwmedic
Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks again for the advice. I do have a miniature rose growing in front of it, so that should do the job of shading the roots nicely.

I'll also cut back a bit on the water. : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.