my leopard spot plant

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

great plant that has doubled in size for me so far this year- Will it overwinter in zone 6?

Thumbnail by capt_insano
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

you should be fine, I think it's hardy to z3.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

plantfiles says z7a http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55089/index.html

but I can have heard that these will come back in my zone

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

capt that is what happens when I'm up in the middle of the night. I stand corrected. I remember googling it for zone hardiness, but obviously I was half asleep.

I do have this plant growing on z9, planted inground, part sun. It tells me when it's time to give it a drink and it is low maint. otherwise. I hope yours does well. A wonderful addition

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

DG says it need consistently moist soil? Does it really? We water, but I don't want something that needs boggy conditions. It looks lovely -- I had never heard of it before and would love to get it!

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

it lets me know when it wants a drink - the leaves will start laying down. I water it deeply and it perks up within a couple hours. I water maybe twice a week

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Perfect! Plants that like boggy conditions don't make it in my yard!

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

Is that a Ligularia? I have 2 & both over winter in Z7, mine are right in the boggy part of my pond.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Bjs

no.....its Farfugium japonicum 'Aureomaculata'

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's confusing about farfugium and ligularia. Until recently they were all ligularia. Farfugiums are less cold tolerant than the ligularia. Looks like zone 6b for the Aureomaculata. They are often grown as house plants.

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/page40.html

The farfugium aren't bog plants like the ligularias are either. I have both and I really love them. The aureomaculata grows in pretty dark shade for me under some redwood trees. I have some crispatum too and that is a really cool plant. People are fascinated - looks like gray felt that is crinkled on the edges.

My favoite ligularia is Marie Britt-Crawford.

This photo is two years old - they are much larger now. I'd better get my camera back out there!

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This garden has both farfugium and ligularia in it. The ligularia in this photo is the variegated LIgularia tussilaginea 'Argentea'. Very cool.

Thumbnail by doss
Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

thanks for the info Doss -

I am reasonably sure that these are zone hardy through zone 6a, also. They have a bunch planted at a local nursery that they say come back every year (all they do is let the frost kill them down, then they throw mulch over the top)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If your nursery says that they will be OK that's good enough for me. :-)

Enjoy! I love them in the deep shade where it looks as if the sun is filtering through the trees all of the time.

East Haddam, CT

Good luck getting them through a Kansas Zone 6A winter. They have never been hardy for me, even in a mild winter, and I rarely get below zero. (zone 6b) Perhaps if you put a blanket over the planting site, and some heavy plastic over that, you'll have better luck. But they definitely do not overwinter in most places in the Northeast. Perhaps Kansas is drier in winter and that would indeed improve hardiness.

Dave D.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I use floating row covers or a product called 'Cloud Cover' for my plants that are tender. I have some zone 9 plants that aren't happy when we have our occasional freezes like last month. However this vendor says that it is hardy to zone 5 - weird because they are evergreen unlike the farfugiums.

"Cloud Cover" also protects them during hot weather and makes them shiny. Nice.

Hows it going?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.