Are perennial salvias and Gaura good container plants?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

In the midwest. I just bought these 2 plants from Lowe's off the $1 rack and they are in very good condition. But I am afraid I will mistake them for weeds in the spring if I put them in the ground. Markers have a way of disappearing around here so I don't trust that method of marking. I was thinking of puting each one in a 12" pot or so. That way I won't have to transplant them for a few years while they grow. They are in about 1/2 gallon pots now.

Pearl River, LA

This is gaura plant as a container plant... I had one on each corner of the deck. It looked great but looks equally as great in a cottage garden. I love the way it sways in the breeze. shirleyt

This message was edited Aug 16, 2006 2:41 PM

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

ShirleyT ~ That is pretty. I didn't know it would do well in containers. What cultivar is this one? I have wanted to add one of the white/pastel pink ones. Whirling butterflies, I think it's called. pod

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Shirley. I thought it probably would do ok but wanted to know if anyone else had done it. I wish I could have gotten one of the red ones and put them both in the same large pot so the colors could compliment each other. But when Holly went in yesterday there were none left. Lord willing there is next year to add to the collection.

Pearl River, LA

Oh guys, I am not a know the names person. My DD bought this for me from a school sale... she got two.. since then I have made babies easily ..lost one of the mother plants to the storm and this year placed the other mother in the ground.....It is so hot and dry here but it is trying hard. One of the surviving babies is doing well... Just make sure they have plenty of water and do not crowd with other plants...mine did not like that. It lets the other plants rule...shirley

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Shirley, thanks for those tips. I will make sure I give each plant its own pot then. That is important information to have. And knowing how much water to give is important. Thanks again. By the way, I only know the name if it is on the tag.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Hi! I'm curious about the name of the salvia because in my zone 6 salvias usuallly dont survive the winter even if they are marked perenial. My blue salvias attract hummingbirds so I will plant them whether they survive the winter or not I love them.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

It's East Friesland. We have several perennial salvia that live here in central MO. Bog Salvia is one that does wonderously well.

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Oh that looks so nice. I put one in a container,but with a mixed planting and it is holding its own but not getting any larger. I guess I need to get it a container by itself. Do you think they will survive the winter in a container in our Zone? Dixie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

You are warmer than us so it should be fine unless it really needs cold to be at its best.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.