"Limpabelle" (aka Annabelle) is not happy.

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I planted "Annabelle" in a row of mixed flowering shrubs out by the road to form a hedge row.
Actually its at least 10 - 15 ft in from the road in my lawn area. I dug up the sod and keep it weeded out under the shrubs. There are a few mature trees closer to the road. It gets 1/2 day (or more) sun.
Its always droopy looking unless we've had alot of rain. I've noticed some other Annabelles in town by some businesses which aren't planted near trees that look droopy alot too. Frankly I think it looks crappy when they are wilted so much of the time. I'm thinking about transplanting Annabelle when it cools down if that will make any difference or is this variety known for needing alot of water? Any suggestions on a better location when planting Hydrangeas...what they like or don't like? Do they need more shade than sun? Thanks for any tips.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Did you just plant it this year (or transplant it from somewhere else in the yard)? A lot of times if you plant something especially in the summertime, it'll take it a little while to get established, so if you can leave it until next year it may look much better. Or it may not, but if you like it and did just plant/transplant it this year, I'd be tempted to leave it until next year and see if it does better. It may also need more water than you're giving it--you said the only time it looks good is after it rains, which makes me suspect if you watered it a little more it might look better (just be careful not to overwater!) Or if it's in the trees' root zone, they could be sucking up all it's water in which case it's better to move it--I had to move some hydrangeas once because of that. I don't think Annabelle needs more water than any other hydrangea, but they're definitely not drought tolerant plants. I think your level of sun/shade is probably OK, I'd check out the other possibilities first.

I planted it in the Spring not during the hot weather.
I do water it inbetween rain but it seems like I have to water it almost everyday or it gets limp.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Even if you planted it in the spring, it might not have had enough time to really establish itself before weather got hot. But if you're watering it every day and it's wilting, I think it may be too close to the tree and it's sucking up all the moisture. Normally when people are watering stuff every day and it's wilting I suspect overwatering, but in your case if it perks up after it rains I don't think that's the case, I think it's more likely that it's in the tree's root zone. Is this possible based on the location? You mention some trees by the road and this being in about 15 ft from the road, which if the trees are big enough could definitely still be within the trees root zone. If that's the case, then the best thing to do is move it, as I mentioned in my previous post I had similar problems with hydrangeas planted too close to a tree and they did just fine once I moved them farther out.

Its probably the trees.
I think I will move it this fall.
Thanks.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

My lilac sounds similar. I've been trying not to OVERwater it, but about the only time it perks up is after a hard rain. Unfortunately, I have over a dozen trees on my property, and there is not place where it won't be more than 10-15 feet away from a big tree.

I also planted it just this year, in June.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Annabelle, and many other shrubs tend to wilt the first year they are planted, as the growth above ground gets ahead of the roots. After the first year the root system is normally established enough that they do not wilt. I doubt it's the trees, could be, but I'm guessing the roots just need to establish more. I would suggest you leave it be over winter, and I think you'll be much happier next year.

Thanks for that bit of info pollyk. I'd much rather try leaving it until it gets more established.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.