Raleigh NC - Wildlife garden tour

Raleigh, NC

I recently found out the Garden Conservancy's Open Day's program is coming to Raleigh. I understand there is a very nice wildlife garden on tour with nesting boxes, butterfly garden wil also attracting hummers. I also understand there to be some other fantastic gardens. It is part of the Garden Conservanycy's Open Day's program Saturday Spetmeber 23rd fro 11 - 4 and Sunday September 24th. They started this to be in conjuction with the JCRA 30th annyversary. You can buy tickets at each of the gardens or at the JCRA. There is also a link at www.gardensgardens.com

Were you able to attend and if so what was there that was of interest?

Raleigh, NC

Yes, but I don't know where to begin. The Japanese inspired garden was full of delightful conifers and stone work by a local stone mason Phil Hathcock with Natural Stone; the Joslin garden was a 4.5 acre garden with NC natives. They had a 20 foot tall and wide yellow blooming Osmantus - breathtaking. Another home had a butterfly garden was a 50 foot border with Monarchs, yellow swallowtails, black swallowtails, sulfurs, skippers, and that was just at the mail box, there was a nice english rose garden, very formal if you like that sort of thing, there was another garden on 1/3 acre with a pond, natives, tropicals, etc. Every inch was gardened. The crowning glory were a set of three old windows from a church inCanada that were mirrored. They ancored the property set on a brick wall. They doubled the property and made a spectatular back drop for an already spectatular garden. Then there was a southern garden with magnificant stone walls, ponds, roses, and 100 year oaks. I understand Raleigh will be represent the Garden Conservancy's Open Days tour again this September.

I know what you mean. It gets hard to remember all that met the eye when you're on sensory overload. Especially when you are in a place like that with so much eye candy. Were you able to take any photos you can share of the Joslin native gardens that had all the butterflies?

Raleigh, NC

It was actually Helen Yoest's garden with the butterfly garden. And yes, I did get some photos. I will get some up. I also understand her favoriate part of her garden is that when she walks into her back garden, it is the sound and motion of the birds taking flight that makes her heart rush. Of course the birds were there, but out of sight of the tour goers. She says she also has to duck from the hummingbirds! The garden also co-exist with rabbits and the occasional fox. Says the sound of a fox feasting on a baby bunny in the spring is heart breaking. The garden was beautiful chaos. She planted plenty of host plants for the larvae to have. Of course, not everyone appreciated the bare leaf stems. I did of course knowing full well what that meant. Her garden was also a certified wildlife garden and yet it still so tamed. Her garden was a true testament to gardening for wildlife without it being...wild!

Having to duck from hummingbirds- oh horrors! Just kidding, wish I had that problem.

I'll go dig up a few photos of JC Raulston's. I don't think I have many from the Butterfly Gardens but I might have one or two. There were some interesting hardscapes there but I must admit I didn't quite get all of those fish skeletons hanging in trees. Do you know what I'm talking about? Most of the water features there were awesome. The stone work throughout was awesome. I don't know if you were aware of this but I believe David Philbrook is Helen Yoest's husband.

Have you ever been to the NC Arboretum?
http://www.ncarboretum.org/
If you enjoyed JC Raulston's, you will really be humbled by the NC Arb.

Raleigh, NC

You don't get the fish? now that is horror. I think they are fantastic! In fact I was recently there with one of my garden clubs and we were photographing them to figure out how to make them. They even created a poster of all the fish. The grad students make them each year. It is tradition of sorts. I do like the NC arb as well as JCRA, but the JCRA closer.

Raleigh, NC

I know Helen b/c she is the regional rep for the Garden Conservancy's Open Days program, very active with the JCRA and has a gardening business that is well thought of. I met her husband during the tour, nice guy. How do you know him? Are they from the Midwest?

I know of them because of the circles in which I travel. Their businesses have come up as a topic of conversation. Me and my gardening friends talk about all kinds of silly stuff. I was unfamiliar with them prior to a conversation on dirt. She designs some fun gardens. Do a search on dirt with their names and see what comes up. Rather interesting.

Here's a photo of a fish in a tree taken a few months ago-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Here's one of the hardscapes that I found particularly interesting-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

I liked this as well-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

I'd love to have this in my backyard-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Here's a garden that I found particularly inviting-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Loved this-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Here's another fish in a tree-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Here is one of their water features-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Their water features were teaming with life-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Another view from a different angle complete with a hanging fish-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Raleigh, NC

Great photos, will take me more time to upload, I am not that savvy or organized, I should say. I did a search Dave and Helen and found an article in the Triangle business journal. Who knew? No wonder everthing grows well in her garden, must have some good Irish peat in there!

Tee he, good Irish Peat! So that's why my plants don't grow as well as theirs! I knew there was something to their dirt! Well, now that we all have the "dirt" on them, let's go raid their dirt stash.

Raleigh, NC

Yes, let's. Actually, she is a true gardener in the sense that she shares. I am sure she wouldn't mind just a spade full. I like your JCRA photos. You must get around a lot. I live near it and don't has as many photos as you do.

I don't get around a lot but when I do, I always look for arboretums and botanical gardens. I take a lot of photos because I get ideas from them. I'm worthless in the garden design department so I appreciate quality hardscapes. I must admit the fish "didn't do it" for me. Here's a plant that fascinated me that was a hub of activity. It was Abelia x grandiflora 'Canyon Creek'. I must have taken at least 5 photos of this plant alone. It was loaded with bees-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.