fish emulsion for fertilizing

Louisville, TN(Zone 7a)

what does everyone think about fish emulsion as a fertilizer in the garden, vegetables and perennials? I applied it with a sprayer.

Sonoma County, CA(Zone 8b)

Seems like I read bunches of gardeners here use the stuff.

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

I use fish emulsion regularly and like the results. I apply it (mixed in the proper proportions as directed using a regular old watering can) to the base of the plant so the roots can soak it up. I do this at crucial periods (e.g. early growth phase, budding or flowering phase) and it seems like it makes a difference. Some warn about overapplying, not because it will damage the plant but due to high nitrogen you might encourage too much plant and foliage growth at the expense of the fruit (same warning about applying too much compost as a side dressing during the growing season). Perhaps others can comment on that. Some do not like the smell. I find it disappears reasonably soon after application. I only use it outdoors, not inside on house plants.

Louisville, TN(Zone 7a)

I did notice the smell at the end of my "session" but when I went out the next morning, it was gone. it really wasn't that bad, just a hint.

Collegeville, PA

I use it regularly (every three weeks), applied at the base of the plant with a watering can, mixed as directed on the bottle. Many of the gardeners around me had very poor yield this year due to the severe rains we had in June resulting in blight and other problems. I wasn't effected, possibly in part because the fertilizer made the plants a bit more resistant/stronger. I didn't use it on my flowers this year, probably should, as they are looking a little sad with all the heat we had in July and no rain.

~Kimberly

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

Good advice all, thanks! Karen

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

BEWARE!!!

Pets love this stuff! Trust me - there is not much grosser than getting sloppy doggie kisses after they've scarfed up on the fish emulsion.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

We've been using Seabird guano this year. Kind of like fish emulsion, one step removed. The smell is milder than fish emulsion and does not last as long. I had a hard time washing the fish smell off of my hands when we used anything with emulsion in it. Besides, the kids at the garden get a kick out of our "bird-poop tea".......you put a seagull under each arm, aim into the bucket, and squeeze". LOL

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

Its a great folair spray its even safe on evergreen's - NEVER use a chemical folair spray on evergreen's (got carried away and killed off one side of my blue spruce - its s.....l.....o.....w. .....l....y coming back)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I use job's spikes for my evergreens. I was amazed the first time they brought one back to life. Now I swear by them!

Rockton, PA

I like the fish emulsion but I think it is so expensive $20 for a gallon so I measure it.
Then the shipping is bad if you find it cheaper in a catalog.
Does anyone know of a dry fish fertilizer?
Would I do as well with manure tea?
Aline

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Aline, I've seen dried fish emulsion as an ingredient in some organic fertilizer mixes. You might also want to try seabird guano. It's in a dry form that can be mixed into a solution if you want to apply a liquid.

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

Alaska makes the regular fish emulsion, but I just bought their powered form and it has no smell at all. I found it at ACE hardware.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.