Homemade potting soil

Agawam, MA

Hi everyone. I'm interested in mixing my own potting soil since a brand I liked has changed it's mixture and I can't seem to find another that I'm happy with. Does anyone have recommendations for their own mix and/or a brand they are happy with? Thanks.

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

If you have had success with a particular brand, I suggest that you try to duplicate that brand as closely as possible, rather than selecting someone else's favorite. My favorite may not be suitable for you because we may have different watering tendencies, plant species, and environmental conditions.

You can try contacting the potting soil manufacturer and find out the original recipe or how they have changed it.

Most soiless mixes are a peat/perlite/vermiculite combination and are easy to duplicate. Some may have some limestone and/or starter fertilizer added. These basic mixes are all pretty much the same and I doubt your plants will notice a difference if a soiless mix is what you've been using all along. A basic mix is two parts peat, one part perlite and one part vermiculite. This should do well for most plants. You can alter this to suit your plants needs. For plants that require good drainage, i.e. cacti and succulents, leave out the vermiculite and increase the perlite. You could even add some sand. ProMix is the commericial brand I use.

Soil based mixes, i.e. potting "soil" are another story. I do not recommend trying to duplicate these at home since your soil will need to be sterilized first.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

A caution abt the sand (for cacti & succulents, 'C&S'). Pls. be sure not to use beach sand, or sand box sand. It's too fine (& beach sand is also salty), has a tendency to become compacted. Many of us who grow C&S tend not to use sand but rather perlite for the desired improved drainage. Generally speaking, one part C&S mix, 1 part perlite & I use one part recycled S&C soil, works just fine. HTH

Your right about the sand. I was going to add that but I just kinda figured Cindy new beach sand was a no no. What you want is builders sand if you decide to use it at all.

Agawam, MA

Thanks all for the advice. Funny thing about the sand discussion - one thing that changed about the mix I used is the increase in content of fine sand which causes it to dry as hard as a rock. I guess I just lucked out - the mix I liked is a local generic brand, I don't know what brand it might have been, or what it has now changed to. Guess I'll have to break down and pay for a brand name or make my own.

North Wales, PA(Zone 6a)

Try Jerry Barad's mix--works for anything!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Sansman,

How/where do you get Dr. Barad's mix pls.? From him directly or is there a general recipe that might be shared (meant to ask you abt this on your last post that mentioned his mix).

Did you by chance get to his open house (July 14th)? I meant to but it didn't work out, maybe next year. If you have never gone it's well worth it, he's got some amazing plants.

All purpose Potting Mix-----Good For Most Plants:
8 qt. potting soil with Vermiculite or Perlite
1 qt. coarse sand
4 qt. Sphagnum Peat Moss, compost, and/or rotted manure

------------------------------------------------------------
Lightweight, Enriched Potting Mix----(Useful in hot summer climates, and for outside containers)
8 qts. potting soil
1 qt. perlite
1 qt. Vermiculite
8 qt. Sphagum Peat Moss
1 cup Green Sand(get at Organic Nursery)
1 cup gypsum

Soiless Potting Mix (Ideal for Starting seeds and root cuttings)
8 qts. Sphagum Peat Moss
1 qt. Vermiculite
1 qt. Perlite

Hope this will help you out somewhat.
All My Best
CoCo

This message was edited Friday, Aug 17th 7:24 AM

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I mixed up several batches of homemade soil this summer...wishing I had thought of it this spring. I used 1/2 a bale of peat moss, 2 (40lb) bags of compsted manure, and 1/2 large bag of vermiculite. Of course I am sure that someone here will scold me for not having my own black gold to use in that mix, but I'll grin and bear it. :-) Of cousre all the amounts are adjustable depending on what you are planting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.