Lavender, Stargazer lillies and Black eyed susans

Orchard Park, NY

My lavender is doing great however the stargazer lilly bulbs I planted 3 years ago seem to be dying, and the black eyed susan did die.

each of these are on either side of the lavender. I have a black eyed susan about 4 feet from the lavender and it is doing beautiful.

Does anyone know if lavender is posionous to these plants?

Thanks

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey! Hi from Depew and welcome to Dave's! I can't answer your question, just wanted to welcome you. I hope you have a camera and will show us your garden.

Black-eyed susans seem to survive every disaster I've ever put them through. I'm surprised to hear yours didn't. They are usually so hardy. I hope we'll get an answer to your question.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

What happened when the Susan's died? What did you notice about the plant? What changes occured in the weather, if any that you noted?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Sissy. Welcome from Wheatfield here. unfortunately, i'm no help either. black-eyed susans, lavender and stargazer lilies are among the plants that I am able to grow succesfully. I have my lavender growing with roses with no problems. and I've never heard that it is toxic to anything else. when did you plant the lavender?

gram

Orchard Park, NY

The black eyed susan had some black spots on the leaves at first and then the base of the plant appeared to be dried up (like it did not get enough water) then the stems just died and so did the rest of the plant.

I have had the lavender there for at least 3 years. I have other plants in this bed that are doing great including another susan,.

Windham, NY(Zone 4b)

how funny...my black-eyed susan's by my lavendar are dying too. same thing. black spots on leaves. i put anti-fungal on it but it doesn't seem to be helping. the rest of my b-e-susans are fine and so are the other plants around the lavendar. never thought to connect them.

Beachwood, OH

I suppose the natural oils of lavender could be toxic to other plants theoretically. An interesting idea. There are plenty of bugs that don't like them so why not. Have you searched the internet for any info?

Another possible idea is pH. I think Lav likes an alkaline soil and probably your other plants prefer something to the side of acidic. But I wouldn't bet on that as I think Susans pretty much live anywhere.

I'd move the bulb as soon as possible to give the roots a chance to re-establish before winter. I'd hate to lose a Stargazer.

Another thing to think about here - This year I got botrytis in some Lilium Black Beauty and also a stand of Casa Blanca and a stand of an Asiatic. I wonder if that's what you're seeing. The lower foliage was too crowded with other plants and stayed too damp. I read up on it because the lower leaves were turning brown and hanging limp. I didn't recognize it as botrytis till I saw some pics. You have to remove all that dead foliage and do not compost it - clean your gloves and tools with alcohol to sterilize. It is very transmisable to other plants - especially things like peonies.

I sprayed with Messenger and cleaned up around the plants and removed some dwarf hosta and astilbe and physostegiea that were crowded and holding all that dampness. When the stalks die back I will cut them down rather than let them stand like I usually do to mark the spot of the bulb. I think I'm going to lose one of my Black Beauty's over this because there aren't enough leaves left on it to rebuild the bulb for next year.

You know you've got some kind of disease going on so I'd remove the diseased plants asap. Those are easily replaced.

I'd like to hear what you figure out as I have a lot of soil-borne diseases on my property. We live in the woods and the damp, cool woods also reduce the air flow - a great environment for disease.

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

Well, another idea would be: Lavender wants lean well drained soil, while the lilies and the rudbeckia want moist fertile soil. Just a thought.

Candis

Katonah, NY

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and recently moved to Katonah, NY and am trying to figure out my new garden. I too have black-eyed susans that are not doing too well. I wonder if it is the strange weather we had this summer. I am not sure where Orchard Park is but we had a heat wave for one week, tornado,a few torrential down pours and a strangley cool August. Maybe there is a link?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

No answer for you, but welcome to the northeast & Dave's Garden. Fortunately, my back-eyed susans have been their usual trouble-free selves.
Dave

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Orchard Park is at the Buffalo end of the State, as is Depew (me) and Wheatfield (grampapa). My susans are beautiful, though somewhat black-spotted. Anyway, we're all glad you've found your way to this forum.

So where is Katonah?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

my susans are rolling along in good shape, one of the few bright spots in my august garden.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

black spot's a fungus mostly on roses, but other stuff gets it too. keep the soil cleaned up toss the plant remains out and keep the air circulation around the plants good. spores splash from the ground to the lower leaves and start growing again. Lavender doesn't have any plant repressing features that I know about. It's not been really winter hardy for me but others grow wondrous plants here.
Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.