Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Rain!!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

We got more than a drop last evening and off & on through the night. Haven't checked the rain gauge, yet. It's almost 3 p.m. and it's ONLY 80 degrees! (Good thing I took a sweater to work. HA!) Can't wait to walk around the plants tonight, they will be purring instead of those wheezing choking sounds they've been making. Hope everyone is getting some rain and/or cooler temps.-AuntB

Hi Aunt B, as a tranplant from Wa. ( not really as rainy as one thinks!) I thought for sure I would love long stretches of hot, dry summer days.Hhmmmph, I danced the Texas Two- Step when it rained and my lawn is singing the Hallelujah Chorus! It's a lot cooler today and the pumpkin patch is swinging and sliding outside. I think I'll take a quick coffee break before one of those pumpkins want a snack!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

A welcome break from 105 degrees... I told my son it rained cause I went into the back yard after dark and did a naked rain dance - should have had the camera - for his face! All is well.

Too cute!!

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

I hurried up and set out my fall brussel sprouts in the garden Sunday before the cool down and rain started. I still have some more fall stuff to put in but the other doesn't take as long a growing time as those. The temps are sure a relief. It's going to go back up but the forecasts look better than before at least.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Very welcome change, I had coffee on the deck at 6 this morning and I could actually breathe! Everything looks so grateful for the 3 inches of rain yesterday and now low humidity. Ahhh, summer!

Yes, I'm loving these nice temps. Pumpkins outside playing, I'm on the computer playing and loving it. May I ask... I see mums at the stores.. when is a good time to plant mums here in Ks? I'm used to planting them around mid-Sept. Thanks.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I think anytime from now on EXCEPT, I'd wait till cools a bit, and stays that way, no 100 degrees for days on end. I'm seeing them in the stores... I would wait till labor day or later if we have hot weather.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Garden6, I live in central MO and find that many fall planted mums don't make it at all. If they do it is in pots set in a sheltered area for the winter then transplanted in the spring. I plant nearly all my mums in spring and early summer. That way they can make some good roots in the ground they are living in before cold temps set in. I have also found that if I mulch them as directions say to they all die of crown rot. So I leave ours unmulched and they do fine. Belgium mums are fabulous. They get huge and many are fragrant. Also very hardy for us here. The Prophet line doesn't do well for me at all.

It's cooler here today too. Down to 88 right now. I'm still having to water in spite of 1/3" rain the other night. Mostly we do food plants and perennials I am really fond of and don't want to lose. If they look like they are dying I'll water them, otherwise they just have to make it on their own. I did use the soaker hose on the hosta and pulmonaria, etc. under the big blk. walnut tree the other night. They were all wilted and looking terrible. Especially the ones right under the tree and against its trunk and roots. I have some mums I put out in mid June that were tiny sprouts I had saved from Powell Gardens and they get watered. I use water from the duck pool so that the ducks and geese can have fresh cold water and I don't feel I am wasting water. I also use dish water on some plants.

I need to go lop off so big weeds. I have to do everything is short spirts so it just sounds as tho I am really active. If I actually do 4 hours of honest work in a 16 hour day it is a hard day for me. I spend a lot of time in front of this computer doing just what I am doing now.

GOD bless and keep each of you. I'm so glad to see activity on this forum and new people coming in all the time.

Thank you both, I've been making all kinds of mistakes in gardening since moving here. I love gardening, it keeps me sane and happy with my pumpkins and the DH. I will keep the sage advice in mind as I make notes in my garden journal tonite. A friend suggested garden journaling! Boy, am I'm loving this forum. I feel like I'm almost in heaven with a universe of new friends. Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome. I do believe the hospitality rivals anyplace I have ever lived.

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

It was very nice here today, too. Our high was 83! So much nicer than all that heat and humidity! Kinda lets you know that Fall is on the way, though. :(

I planted 6 fall mums in October of last year. Two came back up this spring and are currently taking over my flowerbed. The little green thing in front of the two mums would be a Princess Lily looking for a new home since it's being crowded out... totally amazed me, especially since they were not supposed to come back!!

Thumbnail by indiana_lily

Indiana, I love those healthy mums! Saw some of my neighbors planted mums as we were chatting earlier this evening. I think I'll heed the word from the wise. I shall wait...

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Has anyone on here gotten hit by tornadoes tonight? We had several in Independence thru Wellington. Also had one form southwest of Odessa. The storm north of Odessa appeared to be dying but now am hearing that it might be gaining strength again.

Had a little bit of rain today, couple of inches maybe, and at least 4 inches yesterday. Be nice if we got more so we can get all of the ponds around here filled again! How much have you all recieved so far?

Pepper, we received about 8 inches. Thank GOD, no tornadoes. Last night, the winds and the rushing water flow uprooted a few of our conifers. Today we had to stake and anchor them to the fence during the break between rains. The ground there is so saturated with water. If that's our only complaint, then it is well. The pumpkins played football in the rain today. They were hilarious until the oldest pumpkin forgot to take off his shoes and left a mud trail for "Hansel and Gretel" all over the carpet! Stay safe and dry!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I has about 70% rain & thunder last nite....

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

We've had about 3.5 in the last three days could use some more but I'm mighty glad to see what we've had

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

We got about 5 inches over the weekend, the hosta are lovin it! (Me, too, gave me and the hose a welcome break)

Garden6, I totally understand about the mud. I am a custiodian and last week first thing the guys did in one of the buildings I have to clean is tracked in a ton of mud. I went and got a broom and told them they could clean up their messes so I wouldn't have to use a shovel to scoop it out. Got the usual groans and moans but they did it. Even went so far as to mop too!! I was a happy person at the end of the day!! We got rain and I got the guys to clean up after themselves! Yipeeee!!!!!

Thanks Pepper for understanding....glad you had a very nice day and a clean floor...but what do you do when the oldest pumpkin repeats the mud tracking trail again, today from playing basketball! He cleaned up the fist mess and today the second, but not particularly to my liking. Thought for a brief second, I should cut off some toes....but interrupted by another pumpkin for a snack. Oh my,no, no not a fist, but first mess; hope that wasn't a Freudian slip. Nope, it's just carpet! :0)

If they keep making the mess then they keep cleaning it up!! It may not be to your liking but at least they try!! lol. As for cutting off toes.... well doubt it will do any good. lol. They are boys after all!!

yeah,you're right.. just like a boy pumpkin;o)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

And in a few years you would gladly have them track in some mud just to be able to see them for a while. Children grow up so quickly.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Amen to that, leaflady! Now I have grandkids that I also yearn to see more often... s

Pearls of wisdom to the AMEN choir I agree, how quickly my pumpkins have grown since the first one was only a baby....seems like only yesterday. In a few years, sooner than I want, when he's an adult, I'll look back and laugh at myself, what's a few mud tracks when he's having fun and living in the moment!!! ... I'm glad the sun's peeking out this morning.

The sun can go back behind the clouds and it can pour and pour on us all day and night until Friday. Then its gotta stop because I have to go to a softball game. Don't want rain then!! But we need it BAD! It is already drying out here and the rain only soaked down into the ground a few inches.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.