Large Milkweed Bugs (Oncopeltus fasciatus)

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Thumbnail by Magpye
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Magpye, I have these large milweed bugs all over my MW plants. Will they harm Monarch cats..?

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

'Howdy' Cordeledawg

(As you can tell) .. we were swarming with them last year .. (Eeeew!)

Ever so often, I'd witness a cat sorta 'bucking up'/a jerk-like action .. when any of the bugs got too close to them. (It was really funny to watch).

However, I would do my noble deeds and thump the fire out of the disgusting lil orange vermin, when 'I' felt that they may be buggin' the cats unnecessarily tho'. Half the time, they were in each others' way during their commuting back and forth on different parts of the Butterfly Weed - deciding where each will dine next.

I suspect that it may be more of a competition factor in the feeding on the leaves and seed pods, etc. I didn't do a whole lot about the bugs last year .. but this year, I'm managing to keep 'em in-check.

I truly don't know, if they actually cause any direct harm to the Monarch caterpillars - but from what I have observed, I feel relatively certain that they don't. They're just the ickiest lil devils, and their presence on the milkweed does nothing for the plants' appearance, as you know.

Surely you and I and many others, share the same concerns. Half the time, I'd not even know I (had) any eggs - until the itty-bitty cats appear. And that's usually accidental: and only when I'd spot one or two up in the middle of one tiny little flower (on my computer monitor, after I've uploaded the photos). .. lol

Realistically: it's the sneaky lil spiders that pose far more of the threat/danger to the monarch caterpillars. Last year, I'd spent a fair amount of time rumaging thru the milkweeds, with my magnifying glass and my cameras, chasing the lil boogers with very evil intentions! Some, are the absolute tiniest and the most difficult to find/spot ..

Should you run across any info about the possibilities of their harming the Monarch eggs or the cats - please, share the info.

Bless your heart: you asked one simple lil question - and ya got the whole chapter to read, with still essentially no definitive answer! (lol)

((huggs))

- Magpye

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

That's why I asked you because I know you will try your best to give your experiences. That's a good enough answer for me! I've learned so much from reading your posts and looking up your pictures. You are informative and a dear person to me eventhough I've never met you.

Deborah

Orlando, FL

I have these bugs too on my butterfly weeds and they are taking over. Is the yellow eggs from the bugs or butterflies? I hate to use sprays to kill them but they really got on my confederate rose and i lte them have it with some spray. wiped those out but now they keep coming back over and over. saw some lady bugs eating the eggs so that is good. Sure would like to know how to get rid of them.
I didnt know what they were till i saw the picture of them here. Fran

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Deborah/Cordeledawg ..
'Flattery' will get you almost anywhere .. heehee ..
That is so sweet, Deborah.

Fran/Sendone2me ..
Just a thought: when I read your inquiry as to whom the yellow eggs belong - - aphids instantly came to mind for some reason.

I'm no authority, mindja .. but of the two roses we have here; I've never noticed any Milkweed Bugs on them. Of course, this is in no way conclusive evidence either! (hee)

But, aphids .. well, that's a whole nuther horror flick there. (hee) They're definitely some greedy and prolific lil varmints. And most likely, it's two different species of aphids: one, has designs on the milkweed, with another attacking your roses.

Have you taken a look here > http://davesgarden.com/bf/go/261/ .. to see if these guys may be some of the 'yeller-fellers' on your milkweeds -?-
Or, perhaps these > http://davesgarden.com/bf/go/4675/ .. on your roses -?- (I went and looked also, and ran across anothers' inquiry, that went by the wayside last year). Oh, I need a swift kick in the hind-end ..

BTW .. I think your DG user name, is plum cute!

- Magpye

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

On milkweed plants, I just squish the aphids with a rag because I don't want any soap on my Monarch cats. But if aphids are on anyother of my plants other than host plants, I given a good spray of dish soapy water. I hear that will stop them from breathing. There's a homemade aphid spray using dish detergent and cooking oil. I haven't tried it with the cooking oil tho.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.