Any ideas on what to add to my mini-desert landscaping plan?

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I plan to make a sort of glade/mini-desert in my back-yard.
I am gonna use Prickly-Pear cactus, Chain-link Cholla cactus, rocks (yellow ones, like a limestone).
Any ideas on ferns or trees or anything to add to it. It would be about a 40 foot squar-ish area (not 40 sq. feet) in the back-yard.
Oh yeah, I'm thinking about also adding small Eastern Red-Cedars. Eventually the Cedars would get too big and I'll have to cut them down but would look nice for a few years. Something tree/fern-like that resembled Mesquite would be neat, is there such a thing for this area (KCMO)?
The 2 cactus I mentioned survive Winters here, in pots, so I know their hardy here.
I don't expect Eastern Collared lizards or scorpions to migrate to my mini-desert from Southern Missouri. I have a pretty good imagination, but not that good!

Thanks, Will

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Will, maybe you can find some drift wood down by the river. That would look cool.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

how about some cold hardy yucca, like Adams Needle? and how about desert-willow (Chilopsis linearis) for a mesquite like tree - it would probably overwinter with protection in KC. They overwinter them outside @ Colorado State University! You just have to keep it nice and dry

This message was edited Aug 14, 2006 5:50 PM

Some driftwood eh? I never thought about that, that might look kinda neat.
Desert Willow, I'll look that up, thanks.
I wonder if tumbleweeds would be a bit much, I think I can get them in Wyoming.

Will

Oh Yucca, yes definately. It will be in there somewhere, I like Adams Needle.

Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

I am going to watch this thread very close. Looks like I am going to a 20 acre desert. John

A 20 acre desert eh? Thats a lot of sand to truck in! I would have several bags of it. But not too much sand, I also want it to have a barren, rocky look.
In Oklahoma, you might be more apt than me to get away with growing Desert Willow, or even mesquite. Heck you got that red dirt there, thats half of it right there, I love the red dirt look. I thought about going to south Missouri just to get a truckload of it.

Will

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

you're moving John? big spread hunh? sandy desert? or high country?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.